PULL UP \ PUSH DOWN SHOWER DIVERTER on deck mounted mixer HAS BECOME VERY STIFF TO USE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

PULL UP \ PUSH DOWN BATH/SHOWER DIVERTER HAS BECOME VERY STIFF TO USE

I have had this problem on my deck mounted COOKE&LEWIS Wave bath/shower mixer and I may be able to help anyone having the same problem. My tap became very stiff to change from bath to shower and I found the cure was to replace the O-rings in the diverter mechanism and lubricate them with silicon grease.
You will find the diverter can be removed from the mixer with a suitable spanner.
You will need some heat to remove the bottom of the assembly. When you pull it apart you will find that the unit has two O-rings fitted, these are what is making the assembly stiff. You'll need to change them, lubricating the old seals just makes matters worse.
I managed to buy replacement O-rings 14mm by 1.78mm from Seals R Us at 10 for about £1.
It's a bit fiddley getting the old seals out and the new ones in but it is worth the effort. You will need to use some thread lock on the mechanism when you reassemble it. You will end up with a smooth working bath/shower mixer and save a bit of cash :giggle:.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back