Pulled out joist with one hand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So there was I was preparing the floor for a shower tray and noticed a joist was a bit lose and would rotate (there are no noggins). A bit more jiggling just with my hand and the joist came out soon followed by the joist hangers which it turned out were also lose in the wall. The pic shows one hanger pushed back in the wall and the other just lying there.

Is it supposed to be like that?

The span is only 1M and the joists are 4x2 (which I _think_ is ok for such a small span).

So now the question is what to do about it? Access isn't great as you can see but I suppose it could be worse.

Attachments

• IMG_20180730_221322.jpg
    IMG_20180730_221322.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20180730_221314.jpg
    IMG_20180730_221314.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
Looks like the builder forgot to put in all the fixings. Or any fixings at all for that matter.
As you've discovered joist hangers provide very limited restraint, hence struts or noggins for preventing twisting or lifting and plenty of fixings in the hanger to stop it slipping out.
On the left, assuming it's a masonry wall, the hanger is kept in place by the weight of masonry above the hanger. If it's strapped to timber it would need plenty of fixings. It shouldn't just drop out.

So there was this joist, sitting there happily for years with no problems, then one day someone comes along and just yanks it out of the wall, without so much as a by your leave.

Are people supposed to do that?

Sponsored Links
So there was this joist, sitting there happily for years with no problems, then one day someone comes along and just yanks it out of the wall, without so much as a by your leave.

Are people supposed to do that?
I had to expose it to remove the chipboard flooring because the shower tray needs to go on plywood. Once exposed I noticed it was moving.

Looks like the builder forgot to put in all the fixings. Or any fixings at all for that matter.
As you've discovered joist hangers provide very limited restraint, hence struts or noggins for preventing twisting or lifting and plenty of fixings in the hanger to stop it slipping out.
On the left, assuming it's a masonry wall, the hanger is kept in place by the weight of masonry above the hanger. If it's strapped to timber it would need plenty of fixings. It shouldn't just drop out.

Its a brick wall on both sides sorry that wasn't clear. From what you're saying I should fix the hangers with a few screws (I'm not even sure the holes are large enough). What worries me (somewhat allayed by Woody) is that the other joists are presumably fixed the same way although the one or two I have checked don't move as much as this one. Maybe a noggin either side would help too. I don't think I've got the stomach to lift the entire floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back