Weight of shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just after a bit of structural advice here!! all seems fine but thought best to ask.
Have inbstalled a shower tray which I cast out of concrete in an upstairs en-suite.

The tray we could say is average 60mm thick and the tray is 1200mm x 900mm (there is an offset quadrant) i work out this weighs approx 162 kg, the tray bears on a 18mm chipboard flooring which beneath bears on joists running longways (the 1200mm way) at 450mm c/c the span is 1400 , there is 3 joists carrying the tray, however the joists are not built in to walls they are on joist hangers, not jiffy type.

shower tray.jpg

Everything is solid and you could bouce up and down on it with no deflection, just worried that if i ever sell the hous some nosey surveyor will ask for some structural calcs, (they do like to justify the fee), any comments appreciated.

Russ

Sponsored Links
As your load is at the end of the joists it will have less effect on bending and deflection than if it was in the middle. It will have a larger effect on the shear at the ends - this won't be a problem for the joists themselves and is unlikely to be a problem for the hangers, but can't say for certain without knowing the hanger type. Also can't say for certain that the joists will not be affected by the additional load as you haven't given the depth or the span, but again, I don't see it being an issue. It's not really significantly different from a bath full of water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back