Pulling down a supporting wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I've just received my building wanrrent for pulling down a supporting wall. I got a quote for £2960 for the job which the builder put down to the complicated steel work. Basically there is a steel frame around the doorway which is bolted onto an RSJ to support the floor above. I couldn't understand the cost above so I went to an fabrication company who fabricated my steelwork the very next day for £220. the wall is only 6ft wide and 10ft high so I can't understand the above cost.

I know this is a bit long winded so I'll get to the point. I have had a mad boost in confidence :evil: where I actually beleive that I could carry out the job myself in a couple of days with help from a couple of friends. As long as I make sure it is well propped with acro props and strong needles and even acroprops holding the roof up, can anything go wrong? Have any of you done anything like this before? I've done lots of DIY but never tackled anything as big as this before.

Comments appreciated

Sponsored Links
As it your first time,take your time and don't rush it,keep thinking about what you're doing.Start with your roof for where the support is and go down next level of support and what will the RSJ's be resting on and so on.Doesn't matter if it doesn't takes 2 days,safety come first as I don't want to hear from you in the DIY Disasters forum !! Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Very

Just wanted to put my topic back to the top. I'm gradually psyching myself up for doing it. Someone else must have a view whether its good or bad.
:!:

Sponsored Links
a guy at work did a simlar job and hired some acrows, and what looked like bits of Right Angle alli.

Apparently they sit in between the bricks (in the motar joint) and support the existing structure, supported by each acrow. cost him about £4 per week each I think.

beats a scaffold plank on the ceiling!

does anyone know what they are called BTW?

robmorphet - I don't really understand :?: - When you say in the mortar joints do you mean that it goes right through the wall or is it two seperate props on each side that catch the edge of a whole row of bricks?

They called Strongboy Wall Support and you can hire them from HSS.See this.

I haven't use one of these before,best get advice from HSS.
www.hss.co.uk

Thanks for that lads. I've decided to give it a shot. My local Hire shop does strongboys and props for £4 a week as you said. I'll keep you up to date on my progress, just in case you're interested.

Sorry to bring this one up again but I am going to start the work this weekend and I don't know what size of a skip to order. The walls are all single brick (150mm thick) and the main wall measures around 7' x 11' there is also 2 doorways to come out. Does anyone have any idea how to work out what sized skip I will need? I was thinking a 8 cubic meters but it will probably be the weight that is the limiting factor.

Approx 1.3 cubic yard,so a minimum 2yds skip should be okay.Don't worry about the weight they are a lot stronger than you think !

Hello everyone

Thanks for all the help. I have now knocked down all the walls as per my plans. I promised that I would keep you updated on my progress. It all went to plan although it was heavy work. It took 4 days to pull down the 3 walls and istert all the structural work. Not bad considering the materials inc skip cost under £400 and a builder quoted £2960. Building control came out and were happy with my work, even commenting on the tidy job!

Thanks again

See my new topic to see if you can help me complete my project.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back