Supporting lintel after knocking down wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've decided to knock a wall through from my bathroom into my airing cupboard to gain more room. Most of the solid wall (Breeze Block) has been taken down other then a section supporting a lintel above a doorway. The wall is not load bearing as it's been built on floorboards, I've also been in the loft and nothing is supported on top of it but when I remove the last section the lintel will only be supported by a very small part of wall. The lintel is red in the pictures and the wall left to take down is green. The other doorway in the picture will be borded up with a stud wall. Anyone have any ideas of how I'll be able to do it? Many thanks, James.

Attachments

• 20191117_163615.jpg
    20191117_163615.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 257
  • 20191117_163446.jpg
    20191117_163446.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 20191117_155432.jpg
    20191117_155432.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 264
Sponsored Links
If the lintel is not load bearing I would remove it and replace with timber

you can either: remove lintel + blockwork above and replace with studwork and plasterboard when you board up doorway.

or, you can stick a bit if 4 x 2 tight in the doorway, remove the blockwork etc, then build your new studwork with suitable upright to support the lintel then remove the temporary one.

personally I would just remove it because its most likely you will get cracks - although the lintel will make a bit of a mess at the other end as it comes out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back