Kitchen design, knocking walls down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just built an extension off my dining room to be used as a summer room and my idea was to take the wall down between my dining room and kitchen to make a nice sociable living area for the family.
This wall that I intend to take down however has a chimney breast so it's going to be a big job and my other concern is it will just create too big an area.

I've just come up with another idea however I'm not sure if it would look ok.

This is my kitchen now and the wall I wanted to get rid of.
Instead of taking the full wall out, my idea is to put lintels were the red lines are and remove the wall underneath, I appreciate it is a supporting wall and would consult the relevant people.

I would then put a range cooker were the old boiler was in the first picture, utilising the chimney above for extraction.

And finally a plan of how it would look.

I've never seen anything like this before so it may just be a total disaster and my other concern is what it would look like from the dining room side, you wouldn't want to look at the back of a cooker so would need a unit or something at the back.
I would also have 2 doors from the hall into what would now be one big room so would need to block one off.

So is it a barmy idea or could it potentially work?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back