Pulling up ceiling joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it looks as though the ceiling joists in my kitchen ( first floor flat, loft space above me ) are joined above what was once a pantry that has long since been removed ( not by me )

the result is that now they are sagging away from the beam in the loft that the rest seem to be against..

how can I pull them back up to the beam and straighten my ceiling again?

I was thinking drill a hole through the beam and use long coach screws to pull it back up and then a beam tie screwed into both to fix it.. ?

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about the ceiling binders? Can you do a photo?

after about 20 mins of crawling up the loft taking photo's I've just found that I've left my camera lead at my mothers house..

so no photo's today..

however.. I'll try to explain a bit better..

In the loft there are 3 large wooden beams running at right angles to the ceiling..

1 in the center, and one each side about half way to the outside of the roof..

the ceiling joists are for the most part touching the bottom of these beams..
there are iron bars connecting the joists and beams ( about 10mm diameter )

some of the ceiling joists above the kitchen have been joined about half way between the outer and center beam and there is a gap of between 5 and 15mm between the outer beam and the joist on some of them..

the ceiling in the kitchen is uneven and I want to "true it up" again by pulling these joists back up..

Sponsored Links
planks and acros are needed i think. you will need to cut out the old fixings though, or else these might hinder the joist's upward movement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back