Pulsacoil 2000 replacement

J

jbleaky

Hello

I have a "Gledhill Pulsacoil 2000" water heater, and it has a small leak. I've spoken to the company that made these, but it now only supplies parts, but they say that this water heater can't be repaired.

It has a 140 litre capacity, and my flat is a two-bedroomed with one bathroom and one en-suite.

Could an expert here suggest a replacement for this Pulsecoil? Gledhill say that they make a "Torrent" and a "Pulsacoil BP" that are suitable replacements for my model, but I don't know if I should go for another Gledhill if this one has started leaking after only 5 years.

And why are these things so phenomally expensive? :(

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
get an unvented cylinder instead, much better than any gledhill.

Hi

I didn't know that unvented cylinders suit Economy 7 water heating.

For example, how do you stop the immersion elements scaling up?

And are you saying that the Gledhill stainless steel unvented cylinders are worse than all the other makes?

Also, with unvented, my sketchy understanding is that there needs to be a large gauge discharge pipe, but my Pulsecoil is in a cupboard with a concrete floor and noo outside walls, so running new discharge pipework isn't practical.

Thanks!

Hi

And are you saying that the Gledhill stainless steel unvented cylinders are worse than all the other makes?

Also, with unvented, my sketchy understanding is that there needs to be a large gauge discharge pipe, but my Pulsecoil is in a cupboard with a concrete floor and noo outside walls, so running new discharge pipework isn't practical.

Thanks!

any imm htr can be fed off economy 7

a hydroflow will stop the cyl scaling up

gledhill are garbage

you will need a discharge pipe; the bore dependant on the total equivalent lenght (longer lenght meaning larger bore), running this would need a site survey to access options.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

The discharge pipe is a big problem, because I don't want the upheaval and expense of chasing a pipe into the concrete floor, but there is noo route above the floor to an outside wall without crossing a doorway.

Do you know of an unvented cylinder with two immersion elements?

What should I be looking for in terms of quality, to make sure that I don't buy something else that also garbage?

The Gledhill Pulsecoil that I have now doesn't seem to be garbage, although it is leaking. :(

Thanks for your reply.

The discharge pipe is a big problem, because I don't want the upheaval and expense of chasing a pipe into the concrete floor, but there is noo route above the floor to an outside wall without crossing a doorway.

Do you know of an unvented cylinder with two immersion elements?

What should I be looking for in terms of quality, to make sure that I don't buy something else that also garbage?

The Gledhill Pulsecoil that I have now doesn't seem to be garbage, although it is leaking. :(

most direct unvented cylinders have two imm htrs, with a bath/sink option. If there is no way a discharge pipe can be fitted a fortic cyl with a pumped oulet would be a cheap option although not nearly as good.

You could consider an electric shower and inline water heater but the flow rates are poor and would potencially be a big drain on the fuseboard-you'd have to check with an electrician about this.

where's your soil stack in relation to the cupboard? As long as you meet the right requirements the discharge can terminate into the stack.
btw I got an Ariston unvented with 2 immersions of ebay for £130 ;)
most SS unvented cylinders will last years without any problems.

mickyg - the appliance is in a cupboard within the bathroom, so the soil branch to the WC is within reach, but I'm alarmed by the thought of the T&PR discharge going into a plastic pipe - are you sure this is do-able?

simond - thanks - the Pandora looks appealing for many reasons; I'll investigate this further.

dangermouse46 - thanks for your multiple suggetions. I don't like the idea of a pump as it's something else to go wrong. And an electric shower would mean more outlay. i.e. on a new high-power circuit.

I still don't know what's wrong with Gledhill products. Can anyone explain what they're held in such apparently poor regard?

I still don't know what's wrong with Gledhill products. Can anyone explain what they're held in such apparently poor regard?

they are overpriced, unreliable, customer service is very poor, only installed in new builds as they are sold at or very near to cost, always badly installed, spares are extortionate and hard to obtain etc etc

fortunately they are now bankrupt. :LOL:

Hi

Thanks!

Most of the contributors on this forum know nothing of thermal storage and only understand unvented cylinders, which are just a hot water cylinders. So don't take too much notice of many of them. When they propose a an unvented cylinder for all problems ignore them. BTW, unvented cylinders require an annual service, which may set you back £100.

Gledhill are not bankrupt and parts are not very expensive. What is actually leaking? It may be a pipe or immersion connection. Many can be repaired by patching and brazing the cylinder.

You need a type for type thermal store and a few links have been given. Try these stainless versions if the Gledhill can't be repaired. Talk to them as as you don't need a discharge pipe, they may suggest a work around:
http://www.advanceappliances.co.uk/electric_thermal_store.html

don't listen to george bramwell he is a reincarnation of dr drivel, bb etc. He has never worked on the tools so has no practical experience only what the manufacturers brochures claim which is often optimistic and misleading at best.

a service charge for a cylinder is typically £40, and some come with 25yr guarantee, try getting that with a sludge bucket/thermal store.

don't listen to george bramwell

All those who do not understand thermal storage, as this fool does not, accuse anyone who does of being a Mr Drivel. I did a search and he does know his stuff. This thread clearly shows that many here do not understand water and heating systems and only know unvented cylinders and system boilers. To advise an unvented cylinder to replace an electric thermal store shows the ignorance of many here. They are easy to spot and it is best to tell them to **** OFF when they emerge out of the sewers.

BTW, the service charge for an electric only unvented cylinder, will be around £80-100. No one will turn up and work for an hour or two. All controls have to be tested that means boiling the unit by by-pass the immersion stats. £40, only a turn up and look around cowboy will charge that.

I have taken out many unvented cylinders that are scaled up to the hilt and weigh a ton. One was so scaled up it took an eternity to reheat. They had been quoted an arm and a leg to descale it. I replaced it with a DHW only thermal store. The long guarantee meant nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back