Puma 80 constant noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Puma 80 ,since I have come back from week away has developed a constant noise, hard to describe but a light droning noise,fumes are being expelled from the flue and a noise from the flue indicating boiler is on but not as loud as it would be at full power. The boiler is NOT being used when this happens,no hot water or ch being used. If I switch off the electrics the noise stops. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
If you have the pilot version the noise will be the fan running on low speed (to supply combustion air for the pilot). The fan may be wearing out hence the noise. A new fan would be a good idea.

Thanks for reply, I did wonder about fan - just smelling the fumes from flue threw me a bit with boiler not in commission.

These boilers are about 10 years old now and the fans are towards the end of their life.

Fan failure is a common fault, so much so that we keep them in stock!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tried to get plumber (corgi) to come and do this job as I want boiler serviced too (plus pressure release valve & ch temp switch need replacing!) but cannot get anyone for over a week. Is it safe to use the boiler with the fan like this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back