pump noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Finally fixed the 3 port valve problem by swapping out the actuator head, so thanks everyone for your help but...

I now have a really annoying problem. When the pump kicks in for Central heating, it sometimes is quiet, but most times i get this noise http://freespace.virgin.net/david.roe/pump.mp3 (give it a second or two to start up!) which is like a vibrating noise coming from the pump.

Banging the pump works (occaisionally) although the noise sometimes returns.

the only thing i've done apart from change the valve actuator is turn the pump down to 2, as it is particularly noisy when on full speed.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Well done mate, love the idea of the mp3 file. At a guess it sounds to me like the impellor blades are struggling with something. Don't know what your original post was all about but if you have had a duff actuator head, was it seized ? are you in a hard water area ? Just wondering if that indicates gunge in your system which caused the head to fail and replacing that you have loosened some gunge and that is now in you pump. If thats not it, then you will probably have to change the pump anyway so why not make sure you know where to get a replacement locally. Then before you purchase, take your pump out (you will have to if it needs replacing anyway) and check if it is just gunge. If so, clean out and retry, if not, go get a new pump and fit.

It was a dead microswitch in the 3 port valve head. Hard water area - yes. didn't do it when pump was set to 3?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back