pump the boiler back up ?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, a bit of a better explanation wouldnt have gone amiss.
What I mean to say is if i drain the hot water from a pressurised hot water system, ie the combi, i heard you have to "pump the boiler back up"
these words meaning do something to get the correct pressure back to combi.

You need to allow water back in the system with a filling loop or key depending on your boiler. Consult your manual for details of how.

Look for a flexible steelpipe under your boiler which should be disconnected from the system. Reconnect and open the valve to allow water in until the pressure reaches around 1 bar of pressure. Turn off and disconnect. If no pipe you will need a key but the idea is the same. :D

Sponsored Links
BenStiller said:
hot water from a pressurised hot water system
I may be wrong, but I think Ben is just talking about the Domestic Hot Water. In which case, all he has to do is turn the water back on.

Tex, all i want to do is change a bath, in order to do that i will need to turn cold off from mains and let the hot water run down.
Now i dont know this but somebody said when i turn cold mains back on and combi fills up, you have to "quote" "pump the boiler back up"
is this true?

Just turn the mains off with a combi and the hot will be off.
Bit different with a system boiler.
Go for it.:cool:

BenStiller said:
Tex, all i want to do is change a bath, in order to do that i will need to turn cold off from mains and let the hot water run down.
Now i dont know this but somebody said when i turn cold mains back on and combi fills up, you have to "quote" "pump the boiler back up"
is this true?

Ben

In a system fed from a combi there are two distinct systems:

1. Central heating, which is pressurised (or pumped up) using mains pressure; when the pressure is correct it is isolated from the mains with a valve and by disconnecting the filling loop. The combi manufacturer will specify all of this.

2. Domestic hot water, which is fed directly from the mains, through, and heated by, the boiler.

When you want to change the bath taps in such a system, just shut off the mains using the main stop cock - the DHW to the bath will then be isolated. When you want to turn the hot and cold to bath back on again, simply open the main stop cock.

If changing the bath (or just taps) is all you're doing, then there is no need whatsoever to de-pressurise or to re-pressurise the central heating.

If in doubt, don't listen to whoever is advising you to "pump up", just call in a heating enginerer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back