Pump water from cold water tank and hot cylinder in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a huge problem with water pressure in my flat and have recently converted my loft space into a bedroom and bathroom. I would like to install a mixer shower in the loft bathroom. Can I install a hot water cylinder in an airing cupboard next the shower in the loft and then take a water feed from the cold water tank in the loft, and use a pump to get the necessary pressure. Bare in mind that the cold water tank is in the loft too, and at a lower height than the mixer. Is there a special pump that facilitates this? Please help.

Unfortunately the mains pressure is too low to get any effective use out of an electric shower.

Thaks
Anthony

Sponsored Links
Yes you can and you can use a normal shower pump as long as you can site the pump lower than the cold water tank. Otherwise you will need to look at buying a negative head pump.

You will need a negative head pump, as the shower head is above the cold tank.

From what I understand reading the manual for my shower pump, a negative head kit just has a pull-cord mounted to the ceiling to start the pump up instead of relying on gravity flow to start the pump. The pump itself is the same, it is an add-on kit.

I am not sure a standard hot water cylinder will be suitable as it will need the cold tank to provide head. I think there are special hot and cold tanks designed for this kind of purpose.

you can do it but the pump will need a dedicated feed from a seperate tank or a seperate connection to the same tank...however the capacity of this should be over 50 gal if you are pumping alternatively as the man said get a negative head pump and mix mains cold with pumped hot. you are meant to use a surrey or sussex flange to connect it but in reality just forget that and pump the whole flat not just the shower then you dont need to make a seperate connection ....was that garbled enuf for you

Sponsored Links
You either need the ceiling (or air operated) switch OR a neg head pump, not both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back