Pump working, but no fan and no spark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I finally sorted out everything on the Halstead Quattro, except for putting on a new diverter valve, since the old one was seized and not responding to working with silicone.

After refilling and bleeding the heat exchanger, tried to fire up, but no heat.

The pump is working fine, and both central heating and hot water demand switches on the pump, but no more. There is no current going to the fan, and no spark to the burner.

The Halstead Fault Finder gets as far as the overheat cut off device and the over-run thermostat. I've never had any trouble before with either of these devices, and I didn't go near them this time. Even when the diverter valve was playing up, they cut in at 85C and operated the pump as they should. The wiring to them is fine, and I'm running out of ideas.

Is there some way of over-riding them momentarily so I can test them? What else is likely to be between the pump and the fan? I think the fan has to operate before it will trigger the ignition.

If it was the circuit board, surely the fan would run, and there would be no ignition?

In this weather, I really would like a hot shower, and cannot wait or afford to wait until after Christmas for a fitter.

Update: the two control stats are dry, seated on top of the heat exchanger pipework. The overheat thermostat's two terminals are open circuit. The pump overrun is closed between 1 (black) and 3 (brown) and open to 2 (red). All three go to the driver board. Mechanically the overheat rod is as far down as it will go, so I presume this means it is reset.

It feels as if there is a fuse blown to the entire Ignition PCB, since everything connected to this seems dead. Next thing is to test the brown feeder wire...

...Power is definitely getting to the ignition board, but definitely not to the fan. It does suggest something needs to be reset.

I whipped the ignition board to have a look at it - no obvious dry joints or closed circuits, and it is only 3 years old, so shouldn't have failed yet. Still hopefully hunting for anything that got unplugged.

Sponsored Links
the fan & ignition are probably waiting for a signal to say the pump is working (a flow switch or if its new boiler then temp diff between flow n return ntc's). Usually flow switch lets the fan start then the fan (via apds) tells the ignition sequence to start then when that's going the gas valve opens. Somewhere in the start up sequence it will look for permission from the condensate switch to tell it the outlet is not blocked. Your issue is early in the sequence. Identify anything with 2/3 wires coming from it and follow the cct.
HL stats go open cct when the reach temp so to bypass it just bridge it with link. U can not bridge dry or wet stat NTC as they have a particular resistance at any given temp.
What makes the boiler want to start? u switch on the stat then what? something in the boiler needs to say its cold or it will think its hot enough & not switch on. If it has wet stats & the main wet stat is covered in manganite it may well think its hot & not start. Take it out & give it a clean. Better still just clip in another one & let it hang. It will think its cold & if the old ntc is the problem it will fire. (saves u draining it all down to find its not the stat) I can give u resistances for Ferrolki & Vokera but not much else. Don't get emotional - get logical!
I wouldn't normally do this but its not nice being cold!

if the ht stat is open circuit this has to be a serious contender. the hls goes open circuit when it reaches its set value. take it off stick a meter on it & boil it up. there are some that trip over 100 but lots r 96/98. bridge the two terminals & see if it fires up. hlstat is only a switch controlled by heat. its either open circuit or closed circuit.

Sponsored Links
I had the two stats off again this morning. I tried shorting the overheat stat terminals, but still no fan. This stat is now reading closed circuit, which is correct. On the overrun, the manual says black is common. The closed circuit black-brown is also correct. Red-black leaves the pump running continually, as it would on overrun.

Still no power to the fan on fire-up. I tried reading both at the fan end and on the ignition board terminal block.

What else could be stopping power getting to the fan?

Is there something I can test on the ignition board?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back