pumping over . any clues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Potterton Flamingo with 2 motorised valves, which is pumping over. Probably caused by a blockage somewhere. Im a bit confused as to why the overflow from the expansion tank drips more outside, when the hot water is off. Heating hasnt been on for six weeks. Hot water was turned off at midday but drip from overflow now seems to have got steadily worse through the afternoon, and is now at its worst at 1900 hours. Any ideas please

Sponsored Links
My guess would be needing a new cylinder.

Turn off your mains supply. Does it still overflow? is your cold water tank water level going down?

I take it your expansion tank is the same level as the cold water tank and not higher than it.

Andy

probably just the ball cock on the header tank if its doing it whilst nothings on. its just worse during operatiojn because of the natural expansion.

If the ball vale is letting by it would be obvious, just look for water dripping from the ball valve, however if no water is dripping from the F&E ball valve then I am with Hertsdrainage with a failed coil in the cylinder! ;)

Sponsored Links
start with the simple stuff boys. :D Ive only seen 2 failed coils in 15 years, but many balll cocks.

Thanks for all comments. I havent turned off mains yet - stopcock is in loft, and cant access it until tomorrow. But havent run any hot or cold taps in the past hour, and overflow from ex tank still running.

You really do need to inspect your header tank before coming to any conclusions.

About 30% of the ones I see are wrongly set up.

Tony

He has not even inspected the header tank and so he/we dont know that yet!

Look first, then ask us!

now inspected header tank. ballvalve is fine - doing its job.. water is pumping over continuously as soon as I turn hot water on. pump is on 1. can pump be fitted upside down - I've taken a few pics. could that cause problem

We cannot assume that your assessment of the conditionn of the header tank is adequate.

Please post a picture looking at an angle downwards into the header tank.

Pumps dont detach themselves during the night and refit themselves the wrong way ro9und!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back