Pumping Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, this has got me all confused hoping someone can help.

Situation: I have a base with at least 50 L of water in it. I would like to be able to empty the water cleanly (it is far too heavy to move filled) so the item can be moved and refilled. I will only move this item infrequently say once a month tops. Item has a 2-3 inch hole at top for filling/emptying.

Question: Is there some kind of cheap pump I can use to empty this?

I need to be able to put pipe (be it hose pipe) inside to draw water out due to small opening. I don't want to spend loads, hopefully under £20 tops.
I have tried one of those drill pumps before and it failed miserably. I can't use a pond pump as all I seem to be able to find is submersible ones.
Ideally looking for something I can attach a tube to one end to suck and another tube to the other end to output water to drain.

Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Just a thought, but I assume the geography of your location doesn't allow for old fashioned syphonage?

If you are going into a drain, it may be possible to get the outlet end low enough.

Thanks for the replys.

Unable to install tap at bottom as it is flat to the floor.

Tried syphoning with a shortish hose pipe but both area's are on same level also need to move water about 2-3 m horizontally.

Pump would be ideal. Just what kind...

Sponsored Links
Probably the cheapest option would be to use one of those pumps used in garden ponds......some of them have a hose outlet so you can create your own waterfall.
John :)

Edit - apologies, didn't see the no - go pond pump.
Have a look at caravan water pumps - non submersible. You'll not get one for 20 quid though!
J.

If you have access to a compressor, you can blow the water out by putting a length of hose into the water and gently blowing air into the container.
You need to try and seal up the rest of the hole to keep some pressure in your container. It doesn't need to be a perfect seal, though. If you used an old garden hose, you'll be able to push the water to anywhere you want it.
You could also try http://tinyurl.com/ngd9t4k

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
hose pipe on both sides of a pump that goes onto a drill, cheap & easy.

Many thanks for all the advice. Brought a reasonably decent drill pump (wolfcraft one on amazon £8) with the thoughts I can return it if it doesn't work...worked a treat though.

By base I mean a stand for a punch bag, fill it with water so it stays put.

I find they are not heavy enough fall over when kicking the bag.
Tap would have been cheaper easy solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back