Pumpover.

Is it something to do with reverse osmosis? Something to do with the pressure differential caused by the filter...

Sponsored Links
Another theory... (slightly more rational...)

On the flow the F&E pipe has a vertical "drop" below the flow pipe itself. Water at the top 6" of that "drop" will get warmed up and rise - getting dragged into the flow - to be replaced by cooler water descending down the F&E. So now too much water in circuit so everything backs up and some gets pushed up the vent.

Then again you said plumbing is correct... and old pump did not cause pumpover... back to square one...

How about airlock in bottom of F&E pipe due to it's drop down bit - causing "expansion" not to work so vent does the job instead. Or could be dirt in same area as it is a bit of a "trap".

Keep it simple. No is the answer to above three posts

Sponsored Links
Keep it simple. No is the answer to above three posts
Does the pumping over occur when Htg or HW is in demand, or both?
Is the pumping over accompanied by any banging noise?
Presumably the fault was noticed due to a running overflow. Was this the expansion tank or domestic water tank overflow?

BTW, I disagree with your thoughts regarding a by-pass. I may be wrong, but you seem to be describing an old Glow-worm Spacesaver and they had pump overrun built into the boiler stat. Therefore a by-pass was essential, especially on a S-Plan.

Pumping over during CH and HW demand.

No banging noises i.e. boilerstat is in good nick and shuts the burners down when desired temperature reached.

Pumping over into header tank

This boiler is old. Gas valve is 24 volt unit. No pump overrun facility exists on nthis boiler. Boiler stat only extends voltage to transformer, which then opens the gas valve

You wired the plug up wrong and the pumps running backwards :rolleyes:

Flow then drops to the floor with pump fitted halfway on the vertical pipe. Pump is a Grunfoss 15/60. System is fully pumped S plan

No prizes.

I have never seen a three phase Grunfoss 15/60 yet !

Perhaps DIYitall saw it in his youth before they were PHASED out?

DUM DUM TISH!!! You here all week? LOL

415v on a 15/60 should over come any seizure problems though!! Not sure the cap would like it.

Ok, so all you have done is changed the pump. I presume that no drain down was necessary and the pump isolation valves worked correctly.

From what you have described, there is no logical reason for the system to pump over.

So, with serious straw clutching in mind, do you have a partial blockage where the cold feed tee's into the flow? This may have been caused or exaggerated re-filling the water lost during the pump change.

Or maybe you bought the pump on Ebay, it's from Outer Mongolia and it runs backwards.

Can't wait for the next instalment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back