Punto front pads/discs change, easy ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2002 1200cc 8V

Have ordered Mintex brand pads, discs and grease for brakes change this next week.

Is there anything special about the job to consider ?

I presume Mintex Ceratec grease is suitable for the slider bolts ?

Sponsored Links
Yep, straight forward stuff.....corrosion may be more of an issue than usual, and if you need to shift the calliper holding brackets then some heat is worthwhile.
John :)

Presently doing the job but on hold until new slider bolts arrive. Old ones are rusted, hex heads chewed as were the rubbers.

The wire clips in the locking pins at the bottom were both rusted in but managed to get the snapped off stubs out with heat and a punch.

I presume if I use split pins in the locking pins holes, they will do the job adequately ? ........... the split pin will really just keep the locking pin in place and save a trip to the Fiat dealership !

There's a variety of clips used in these situations, often they are 'R' shaped......split pins are fine, if you can get them in.

Sponsored Links
Job stalled because new slider rubbers won't push into the recesses.

Tried putting them in by seating them on the recess rim and tapping in with a socket head but they simply won won't go in. All I've managed to do is badly twist the metal ring on the rubbers.

Seem to me the metal rings are a bit too big a diameter !

Awkward sods.....its vital the groove is completely cleaned of rust, but naturally enough I can't comment on the diameter - but they should be right if they are a dealer part but less so if they are patterns.
Use WD40 or similar to help them in. Happily, most sealing rubbers are now fitted externally rather than internally, but can you post us a pic just in case its not what I'm imagining?

Awkward sods indeed and damned infuriating for what was going to be few hours work if that.

I'd have thought using a socket was ideal as it gives even force around the rim which makes me suspect the metal rings are oversize.

As the rubber on the new seals are still intact, I may try and remove the rings and araldite the rubbers in ?

This is the cleaned up slider bolt hole -

24b5hr6.jpg

and one of the seals (still intact) in question -

15hoaia.jpg

Indeed it is Burneman. I've had that pointed out to me in a phone call to an ebay selller.

I just attacked them with a screwdriver and was able to gouged them out.

My first stupid mistake of 2016 !

The seller can supply the seals individually but at £3.90 which to me is expensive but my own fault.
I only need three of the seals so that's plus.

Just a thought, as its only the metal rings on the nee seal I've damaged, as I mentioned above, I could araldite the rubbers into the other caliper that still has the rings in ?

That would saving buying replacement seals ?

Araldite won't look at rubber, I'm afraid......if you want to do some sticking, go for original Evo Stik or similar.

I'll get new seals.

To think I could have had the job done and dusted today !

Sod's law mate, we've all been there! Just pack those sliders with as much of your ceramic grease as you can get in on reassembly.

The slider pin kits I got from ebay came supplied with bushes, the seals and sachets of grease.

When I put the new pads in, I have tube of Mintex brand anti-squeal grease.

Hopefully Mr Sod will stay out of the way now that he's had his fun and let me get on in peace !!

Job done !

Easy to get the seals in with the old metal rings removed. The seals have to be fitted to the slider pin prior to being tapped into the caliper. Fit one seal on to the pin, insert the pin into the caliper, tap the seal into position then fit and tap the other seal in.

Many thanks for the reply postings Burnerman.

If anyone is interested, this place is a good source for brake parts -

www.biggred.co.uk

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back