Punto "T" reg engine noise ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am buying this from a friend.

Its done 108k miles and a noise started when the engine was warm but now after being used for about 500 miles it starts immediately.

She talked to a few people who thought it was the water pump and and had a quote of about £150 for new pump and belt fitted. But she bought a new car instead.

Listening to the engine with a stick it seems to be more likely to be coming from the camshaft bearing than the water pump but listening to noises in engines is always difficult to come to any definite conclusion.

Its not made easier because the alternator bearing also seems noisy.

Are there any experienced mechanics who can hazard a guess as to the likelyhood of it being the camshaft bearing rather than the water pump? How difficult is it to change? The water pump looks fairly easy.

Tony

Sponsored Links
start with the cheapest thing and examine the alternator belt. if its a serpentine belt then its not uncommon for it to make some strange noises if its worn or has pieces missing

Does it have that name on the outside?

What make is fitted by Fiat when new?

There is no indication anywhere that the belt has ever been changed. My KIA had the date clearly marked in thin white paint. I really dont understand why so few bother to record the date of such an important bit of maintenance.

What is needed to lock the crankshaft and camshaft pulley when changing belts?

Good advice though! Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would guess its MK1 as the air filter pack is different and takes hot air from around the exhaust manifold.

Tony

the serpentine belt is basically the multi v belt that drives the alternator.
locking the crank and cam is only needed when changing the timing belt

Odd name for a fan belt !

How do you lock the crankshaft and camshaft to change the cam belt on the Punto Mk 1 engine?

Tony

To help isolate noises, normally we remove the alternator belt and start the engine. Naturally the battery won't be charged but that doesn't matter for a short while.
If your engine is still noisy, I'd be inclined to stick a screwdriver handle in your ear and try to identify the problem area - stethoscope wise. You can't access the water pump, its behind the timing belt cover.
If the noise is from the valve cover it could be due to an excessive tappet clearance.
John :)

Listening to the engine with a stick it seems to be more likely to be coming from the camshaft bearing than the water pump but listening to noises in engines is always difficult to come to any definite conclusion.

Tony

Done that John!

Car is now insured ( no thanks to Natwest who declined my card payment because THEY had changed my security information! ).

Tony

Thanks for all the suggestions!

This all went badly wrong and cost me about £280 ! I had bought insurance, two Haynes books, water pump and cambelt.

She had bought a very nice newish large car but when the insurance came for renewal she decided she did not want to afford it and sold it and refused to let me take the Punto.

She took Punto to mechanic who found, as I rather expected, that te problem was only an over tightenned alternator belt !

Such a simple fault and so much expenditure for me for nothing!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back