Purchase of new property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to exchange/complete on my current property and have had an offer accepted on my next property.

I am trying to make decisions as to what surveys/inspections to have carried out in order to protect my investment and insure that I reduce problems that could occur when we've move in.

I don't believe that a mortgage survey is sufficient so please could you advise me what you would do in my situation? The property is in a village and built in the 70's. Is is detached with 4 bedroom's and has had 3 extensions added where 2 have been approved by the council and 1 by an approved inspector.

My original plan was to get the following:
1. Mortgage valuation
2. A structural survey
3. A recommended builder to have a look (I have had this and he spotted a few minor issues)
4. An NICEIC or NAPIT registered electrician to do a period test/inspection

What are your thoughts?

p.s. Photos and more details are available if you'd like me to PM them to you.

Sponsored Links
All of the above may help, but at the end of the day if it's something hidden then no amount of eyes will ever be able to foresee those issues. If it gives you peace of mind then do as you suggest - house buying can cause enough sleepless nights without adding to the 'will it fall down tomorrow' worries.

I take it you have somewhere to live while you are waiting to complete on the new property? Have you considered what you will do if reports come back with problems?

I was advised a while back to get the full survey done completely separately to the mortgage one.

This is because if the full one shows up an issue that can be rectified but may cost a bit or take some time, if the mortgage company knew they may get a bit uncomfortable about the property and refuse the loan or put some sort of conditions on, such as remediation within x months,

Sponsored Links
When you get the survey report you need to read between the lines and take note of what is NOT said..

For example if the present owner does not give permission for carpets to be lifted then the true state of the floor boards will be unknown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back