pureflow septic tanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having real problems with this. just moved into a new house and the power to the tank had been switched off. didnt realise but after a month noticed a smell out side. then one morning one of the bathroom smelt of sewer gas and a cupboard down stairs also.

Had plumber out and said get tank sorted. there was no problem with the traps etc but he said my vent system prob couln't cope with it. its built inside the house so cant get at it.

had guy out to the tank and said compressor was broke though no power had been going to it.

Even if this is replaced can he sort the venting of the tank rather than have it use the pipes that go inside the house. hes saying if it smells inside the house its not the tank but the smell is obviously coming from there.

Plumber says if there is a leak in the vents insode the house it will be a smash up my house job etc.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Firstly, you have a sewage treatment plant, not a septic tank. I have installed a lot of PureFlo's (now called 'Falcon', I believe?) and they are very good plants.
It is essential that you replace the blower and leave it switched on. The sewage plant also needs an annual service or it will keep on blowing up compressors. It also needs emptying every 6 months.
As far as the smells are concerned, your man was right - it is NOT the plant that you can smell but the stinking drains due to innadequate Soil Vent Pipe installation. This is simple to fix as you add them to the outside of your house. You don't have to rip the house to pieces to fit them as air will always take the easiest route up the new pipe.
Talk to Sapphire Servicing as they can put you in touch with someone who can explain what you have to do, as well as service your PureFlo.

Had a guy out and said compressor was not working and no power going to system. he's calling out in a few week to replace and sort.

ARe these plants ok to be switched off for such a long period of time. its been approx 3 months not working and the smell coming back up the drains from it is horrendous. Im worried it will only cause problems to other parts of the system.

Also when fixed how long will it take to work through the backlog of it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a real beauty for a service engineer! 3 weeks??!!
You can't leave them for more than 3 days without bacterial death! You are risking the diffusers blocking and that is a big job with one of these as you can't pull them out. Did he do a sludge core sample as it will almost certainly need emptying and filling up with water before he fits the new blower.
You are polluting right now. If you have a soakaway you are blocking it and they are very expensive to replace - I know as I replace them all the time due to plants not working. If you discharge to a ditch then you are risking massive fines from the Environment Agency and they take no prisoners!
Get a proper service engineer out to fix it NOW. No real engineer would tell you to leave it for 3 weeks! Contact Sapphire Environmental Ltd. as I have worked with them before and I know that they are trained on the PureFlo and are British Water Accredited service engineers. Their number is 01757 289681.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back