Purple and Blue wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just cut the plug off a braun tooth brush charger. (induction base)
I was wondering what colours I would find.

The answer was, blue and purple. Is this some euro standard ?

Obviously it doesn't matter which way round they are.

Sponsored Links
Seem to remember white, purple, yellow, blue and red were used to denote voltage, not sure on first two, 24 volt and 48 volt I think, long time ago, but yellow was reduced low voltage, blue 230 volt and red 400 volt. So maybe some voltage dropper in the plug?

The Euro standard for flexible cables is blue and brown, the same as here.

Sponsored Links
The plug is too small to contain a transformer. Might try a continuity check though

It's been running off 240V for a number of hours now.

I just cut the plug off a braun tooth brush charger. (induction base)
I was wondering what colours I would find.

The answer was, blue and purple. Is this some euro standard ?

Obviously it doesn't matter which way round they are.
In some countries purple was used for switched live so the answer is mmm maybe.

Bear in mind the main pigment primary colours of purple are blue and red, and the main pigment primary colours of brown are blue and red it is not uncommon for blue and purple wires to get very close to each other and one manufacturers brown may be more purple than anothers purple, You don't want to know how I know that:cry:.

The Euro standard for flexible cables is blue and brown, the same as here.
But this is a manufactured item and manufactured items are not required to conform to the wiring regs.

... I was wondering what colours I would find. ... The answer was, blue and purple. Is this some euro standard ?
As SUNRAY has suggested, are you sure that the 'purple' is not a poor attempt to produce brown? Was it connected to the L or N terminal of the plug you cut off? (if you haven't done do already, you would probably have to ascertain that by 'continuity testing', if it was, as I assume, a 'moulded' plug).

Kind Regards, John

One of the control panels I was sent to site to do some alterations I was told
230V; L = brown & N = dark blue.
ELV; 24Vac = purple, 24V dc = grey & N = light blue.
ELV signals = pink & 0V = white.

The 2 drums of blue I took were lighter than the original light blue.
Under the LED lighting:
The original pink matched my grey.
The original purple matched my pink but they both looked green
The original brown matched my purple
The original grey matched my dark blue
There were 2 existing white, one matched my light blue, the other matched my green/yellow
The original green/yellow matched my purple

Luckily I was able to swap BMS points around to not need any new pink/white, I didn't need to make any changes to dark blue and there was enough recovered grey. I had other purple in stock(at home) the brown was ok and the the lightest blue had to cohabit with a white, fortunately they were both at earth potential.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back