Push Button Cistern Button problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post, and it's about a fairly common problem.

I have a push-button cistern which, almost always when you push the putton, flushes normally then leaks constantly into the bowl. I've narrowed the problem down to the button, as despite coming back up, there's no pressure behind it.

A simple but temporary fix is to press the button a few times until pressure comes back to the button, but one daughter is incapable of mastering this complex task and drives us mad with the sound of water constantly filling the tank in the attic.

I found a site which mentioned turning the screw on the fixing under the lid, but after trying a small turn there was no difference. Should I turn it further or is there another fix?

Sponsored Links
Just a thought, have you checked it is not the siphon getting stuck in the open position after flushing first?

If it's the flush button, I'd just get a new one

Hi. I wouldn't know how to check the syphon, but will search for that. Would pressing the button again solve that problem, though?

I was hoping it was just going to be a minor adjustment to whatever set-up is there, but maybe not.

Take the lid off the cistern, and when you push your button, the big thing (the siphon), in the middle will lift up, once the toilet has finshed flushing this should go back down again

Sponsored Links
...and yes, pushing the button will lift it, so pushing it intermittently may cause it to lift up a little and drop back down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back