Push fit connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you slacken off push fit connector then push in copper or plastic pipe then tighten collar up and when undoing MUST you UNDO collars before pulling out?

Do people debure the copper pipe being inserted?
Screenshot_20220108-111556_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• 20220106_150438.jpg
    20220106_150438.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 106
Sponsored Links
On that style of connector, it must be loose when inserting the pipe, then tightened afterwards.
To remove, loosen the collar, push the end plastic piece in towards the fitting, hold it in and pull the pipe out.

For copper, cut the pipe with one of these: https://www.toolstation.com/rothenberger-pipeslice-tube-cutter/p50182 so there is no burr.

Scratched or hacked copper will damage the seal in the fitting and it leak forever.

Do you slacken off push fit connector then push in copper or plastic pipe then tighten collar up and when undoing MUST you UNDO collars before pulling out?

Do people deburr the copper pipe being inserted?

You don't need to slacken off the nut to insert but is easier to fit, you must loosen to demount, it won't otherwise and definitely yes to deburr.

As suggested though a compression fitting would probably be more suited to that kind of install IMO and use copper olives.

What's with the tape around the cables? Never a confidence booster, especially with the amount of power running through that.

Sponsored Links
On that style of connector, it must be loose when inserting the pipe, then tightened afterwards.
To remove, loosen the collar, push the end plastic piece in towards the fitting, hold it in and pull the pipe out.

For copper, cut the pipe with one of these: https://www.toolstation.com/rothenberger-pipeslice-tube-cutter/p50182 so there is no burr.

Scratched or hacked copper will damage the seal in the fitting and it leak forever.

I used one of those so I guess no need to use sand paper or whatever to get rid of burr

16416453121538227171647680431510.jpg
View attachment 256709

I remember you saying. I was gonna get one then the guy in shop said get a push fit. Think he was a plumber before working there (so he said) and with little confidence with plumbing thought that would be easier.

Just found this on instructions for Mira Play

Last edited:
No bother, if they say use push fits then crack on, always best to read the MI.

My concerns with push fits are always leaking seals later on in an electrical appliance, that's why I suggested compression is better suited IMO, not that you couldn't use push fit ;)

No bother, if they say use push fits then crack on, always best to read the MI.

My concerns with push fits are always leaking seals later on in an electrical appliance, that's why I suggested compression is better suited IMO, not that you couldn't use push fit ;)

Might buy one and keep an eye on push fit connector for ieakages (take top off and have a look) then change over if leaking.

It was confidence thing regarding doing the olive up to the right tightness that I was worried about so went for easy option. I guess do up olive check for leaks if a leak then do tighter until no leaks. That's what my neighbour did when it leaked (he'snot a plumber though). That's the way.

Copper olives if compression, and, check that the factory made electrical connections are tight as well as your own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back