Push Fit Fittings.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like a bit of advice regarding when to use pipe inserts for plastic pipe.

I know that you must use an insert when fitting a compression fitting to the plastic pipe but are you also supposed to use an insert when just using the standard JG plastic pushfit fittings. I was always under the impression that you didn't but some info I've recently seen seemed to suggest that you should but it wasn't exactly clear.

Thanks

Russell

Sponsored Links
You MUST always use pipe inserts when using plastic pipe.

Not only that but the lifetime and durability of the JG stuff is massively improved by using the slightly more expensive inserts that include additional o-rings. For some reasonm I wasn't able to find these at Screfix but PTS do stock them (and refuse to stock the cheaper ones).

I missed one insert when I did some work on our house (by accident) and it started to leak after 2 months. A plumber at PTS told me that, without the inserts, the joints can actually come apart in extreme cases when under mains pressure.

Some people do knock the JG push fit stuff but I've always had great success with it. However, it needs to be installed properly and carefully to ensure a durable finish.

iep.

I'm not trying to be funny here but I'm sure the manufacturers will happily supply you with their best practice docs/manuals to ensure their product is used properly.

Having attended properties in the middle of the night in winter when on call where push fits with no inserts have popped off, I think you can take it my asnwer is also "yes" :LOL:

I was viewing some neatly rodent chomped plastic pipe yesterday. I advised the bloke to get a cat, but he doesn't like them.. :LOL:

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys. I honestly thought you only needed the inserts when using compression fittings. Now I know better.

Are these the inserts you were refering to with the additional o-rings http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18100...fit-STS15-Plastic-Pipe-Insert-15mm-Pack-of-50 and, if so, I don't understand what it means in the description when it says "Push straight onto copper tube". I don't understand what copper tube has to do with it.

Thanks

yup, that's the inserts I use. Don't know why the guy at Screwfix said they didn't have them.

iep

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm driving past Screwfix on the way home later so I'll pick up a bag of the inserts.

Thanks again

Russell

I forgot, just one more thing.

What are your opinions on the other push fit fittings besides John Guest. I'm refering to the FloPlast ones or even Wickes own brand ones. Are they all just as good as one another or is one the bees knees and the others just poor imitations.

Plumbers are belt and braces type men, well I am so I wouldn't use plastic ;) . You just wouldn't even consider using plastic pipe without inserts, just asking for trouble.

Plumbers are belt and braces type men, well I am so I wouldn't use plastic ;) . You just wouldn't even consider using plastic pipe without inserts, just asking for trouble.
I wouldn't even consider using the plastic pipe under the floor or anywhere else where it isn't open to inspection. So it will be all copper pipe below floor and coming up about 18 inches above the floor boards. Then I will use push fit fittings for all the final connections.

Also, following the advice I have received here I will make sure I always use the pipe inserts and, more specifically, the ones with the extra o-rings.

The speedfit stuff has two types of insert. The ones with the extra o rings are for pushfit fittings. If using compression you want the plain ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back