Push-fit waste repair or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The push-button (push to close - push to release) sprung waste plug in our basin became increasingly stiff and difficult to release until it stopped doing it completely.

I have removed the brass mechanism and cleaned the plug plunger and pipe into which it slides to compress the spring and it now moves OK.

However, while there is a cam notch on the inside of the plug holder I can't see anything that is designed to fit into the cam.

There is a C-shaped chrome clip which fits into the head of the pipe section where it is held by a circlip and (presumably) is designed to hold the spring in place but it doesn't seem to be designed to fit into the groove of the cam.

Is there a piece missing (which I might find in the trap) or get a replacement or is it better to get a complete replacement unit?

Photo of components below

Sponsored Links
I emptied the trap and found a piece of bent brass wire approx 1cm long which might have something to do with it. :confused:

I emptied the trap and found a piece of bent brass wire approx 1cm long which might have something to do with it. :confused:
it might have ;) but as this is a UK forum where none of us is regulated other than a half arsed attempt @ the gas industry - I think you`ll either get someone who knows FA or very close to it :mrgreen: . So I draw a virtual breath through my teeth ( in true Rouge Trader fashion ) and say " You need a new one, M8 " that`s £100 ;)

Sponsored Links
it might have ;) but as this is a UK forum where none of us is regulated other than a half a***d attempt @ the gas industry - I think you`ll either get someone who knows FA or very close to it :mrgreen: . So I draw a virtual breath through my teeth ( in true Rouge Trader fashion ) and say " You need a new one, M8 " that`s £100 ;)

I'm a Brit who moved to Oz 4 years ago and have renovated apartments in both countries so I am aware of the differences in the regs.

I couldn't believe it when the sparkie here asked where I'd like the sockets in the Bathroom! And looked at me like I was mental when I asked for a pull cord for a water pump switch instead of a wall-switch - I'd had enough of the shocks from the switch outside the bathroom thanks.

The pump is supposed to turn off automatically but the plumber installed it in the ceiling and it won't turn itself off as the low water pressure won't activate the switch (doh!) - then tried to blame the UK-sourced thermostatic shower mixer (two taps on the wall is an Aussie mixer!).

This in the same country which requires a tradie to change a lightbulb for "safety reasons"!

OTOH I was remnovating my UK apartment when the Part P regs came in for electrical work so the gas industry isn't the only UK trade that's regulated.

Finally, I can pick up a pop-up waste unit for $20 (about £12.50) or less.

Hey!

So this is seriously late reply, but I just had the same problem, and it looks like this is one of the few posts that actually has the same push-button waste plug as I do.

I figured out how to fix it, it may be a little bit confusing, but try stay with me here...

I am going to be referring to the picture and the various parts above.

1. screw the "plug" onto the "plunger";

2. Put the "spring" into the "pipe";

3. Push the "plunger" into the "pipe" all the way down and screw the "grub screw" into the "pipe" (while holding the "plunger"pressed into the "pipe" - reason being, the grub screw may catch the spring if you are not depressing);

4. Now the tricky part and this takes some fiddling - (if you turn the whole part that you have constructed now upside down, so the top of the "plug" is on the floor it will make it a lot easier)....

Press the "plug" down, as though it were in the closed position and hold it there (hence if it's upside down this is easier to do), now take the "c-clip" and insert it into the bottom of the "pipe". You will see a little hole at the bottom of the "pipe" and this is where the one end of the "c-clip" will go, the other end will slot into the "cam", this is where the fiddling comes in.

I found it much easier to do this when I had pressed the plug in as explained because you can actually see the "cam" through the bottom of the "pipe".

Those little grooves in the "cam" are where the "c-clip" slides up and down to hold the plug in the closed or open position.

Once you have the "c-clip" in the right position (after fiddling for a while!), play the "circlip"over the bottom of the "pipe". This will lock the "c-clip" in place.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if anything is unclear!

Good luck!

J

The above description by Jman05 has been perfect for me - it may be 2 years old but the information is still relevant here in NZ!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back