push fits under screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of having an extension built and the plumber has just completed 1st fix - he has used plastic push fits and pipe for the central heating and has put joints which will be screeded over - my query - is this ok?
I have read on push fit suppliers web sites that fittings should not be buried but is there any regulation which states push fits must not be screeded over - my builder has already pulled the "we always do it that way " card !!!

Sponsored Links
Extract from regs

• 1) No water fitting shall be embedded in any wall or solid floor

Here http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/water/industry/wsregs99/guide/section3.htm

Also check out this
  • Location of water fitings

G7.1 Unless they are located in an internal wall which is not a solid wall, a chase or duct which may be readily exposed, or under a suspended floor which may, if necessary, be readily removed and replaced, or to which there is access, water fittings should not be:

a)located in the cavity of a cavity wall; or,
    b)embedded in any wall or solid floor; or,
    c)installed below a suspended or solid floor at ground level.
    See Figure 3.1and 3.2 for typical details of acceptable arrangements

Here http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/water/industry/wsregs99/guide/section3.htm#fig3.3

Sack your incompetent builder/plumber. Regs apart, the pipes all need space to move. Joints pull apart in time, otherwise. Pushfits sometimes leak without any help! Plastic pipes regularly go straight in screeds, but not joints.

Sponsored Links
Slugbabydotcom.

Water regs only apply to potable water.

It's no problem, just remove the push-fit, butt the ends of the pipe together, and wrap with sellotape. :evil:

:idea: Just heat the ends with a blowlamp and push together.

From the speedfit book.

Speedfit pipe and fittings can be layed in concrete and masonry providing they are installed in conduit pipe with access boxes for the fittings. As stated in Water Regulation Schedule 2.7 and BS 8000 : part 15, fittings and pipe should be removable for possible replacement, Insulation is also recommended to protect against heat loss and the effects of frost.

Thanks for your replies - some of extreme use and value and others well..........
Having spoke with my builder he has done some research himself and agrees that fittings should be accessible so we have agreed on rerouting the pipe work so that none of it will be under screed - again thanks for the replies.

Water regs only apply to potable water.
Not what the water regs say

• Application of Regulations
    2. - (1) Subject to the following provisions of this regulation, these Regulations apply to any water fitting installed or used, or to be installed or used, in premises to which water is or is to be supplied by a water undertaker.
It then goes on to a few exclusions relation to non domestic and non food

No mention of potable water there unless I have mis-interpreted something

It then goes on to a few exclusions relation to non domestic and non food

No mention of potable water there unless I have mis-interpreted something

Sure have, Water Regs stop at the Header tank, or Filler loop.

Heating pipes( BC ) :LOL:

Some water regs rather obviously apply downstream of the filling loop and header tank. I'll leave you to work out which ones!
BR are additional, not relacement, regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back