Pushfit connecting plastic to copper leak HELP

Ahhh I see. OK so that piece of metal is the insert. I wasn't expecting it to be metal, all the ones I've seen that connect plastic to plastic elbows are plastic. That makes sense now. In theory therefore if the plastic pipe was pushed back into place even though there are potential issues with this it shouldn't really cause the hot water pressure loss. Back to the drawing board.......

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be a pain everyone but can I just come back to one safety point. When the second plumber came round and pushed the pipe back into the elbow pushfit connector with the metal insert still in there was this totally unsafe? Will this definitely blow again and should I get a plumber to replace this immediately? If so with what?

Regards

Hmm, it's probably ok, problem is you never really quite know.

Pushing it back in like that with the insert in place might be ok (I've done it with a speedfit fittings, when I hadn't pushed it in fully and it came out on testing) . If it came out because it wasn't pushed in past the grab ring then if it is back in place fully pushed it it should be fine. If however,the grab ring didn't grab properly then I would have replaced the grab ring at least (as someone said earlier in the thread I think).

Or just used a new fitting

Yea get a new elbow, the one you have looks like a demountable one where the collar unscrews to allow removal (some need a special tool or great dexterity) you need the same make to go with the tube.

Better still use the copper one I posted before and ditch the old plastic pipe.
Maybe you can even work in some longer run of 22mm and reduce down just before the elbow.

Maybe even try to incorporate an air vent to eliminate any that is trapping there.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys. I'll get someone in and replace the elbow, Mum and I are on constant tenterhooks wondering if it will hold when we shower. I hope it is easily demountable as it's in a b*tch of a position banged right up by that wooden joist.

22mm is run up to about a metre away from this join. Would that make any significant difference to my pressure issues by running another metere?

I'm still thinking there is something majorly wrong with hot water getting from the tank to the shower. Water flows fine for about 15 - 20 seconds then reduces to half and tails off slowly over the course of the shower. Cold water is strong and consistent and am happy with that and it uses exactly the same network run of 22mm and 15mm as the hot.

I'm wondering if the HW flow problems (how are you judging that?) might be down to a dodgy shower valve?

I'm judging the hot water flow by holding the hand held unit as far away at the end of the shower tray aiming towards the drainage hole (the shower tray is 1400mm long). If I continue to hold the unit the arc of the water gradually reduces in pressure and moves closer and closer to me until it almost reaches to nothing.

If I do the same test with the cold water it continuously hits the drainage hole and does not creep toward me at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back