Pushfit fitting help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20191117_112926.jpg
20191117_112926.jpg 20191117_112921.jpg Hi everyone, I am having a problem ( I think) with the pushfit fitting that my pipe and washing machine valve are plumbed in to. If I grab the pipe I can rotate it a little. Should j be able yo do this if the fitting is working? Also on the same pipe at the top is my washing machine valve fitting this gradually turns on the pipe over time and moves round due to the pipe moving at the bottom. Are this fittings supposed to let the pipe rotate?

Attachments

• received_2525141044273215.jpeg
    received_2525141044273215.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 241
  • received_1341863122651290.jpeg
    received_1341863122651290.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The design of a pushfit fitting means the pipe can rotate but it's likely to end up leaking especially if they are old fittings.

They can rotate, but try and avoid moving them if you can. They may leak if constantly moved. If its an issue, fit a pipe clip or clips to prevent rotation.

Thank you so much. They wont automatically blow off will they? Where can I get the clips from? They are about 12 years old. I had a plumber out to look but he said they don't need replacing. My concern is, if its rotating when machine is on, one day it will just fall off.

Sponsored Links
You can use cable ties to secure them to other pipes etc to stop them moving, not ideal but easier than fitting clips in a confined space.

Thank you so much. They wont automatically blow off will they? Where can I get the clips from? They are about 12 years old. I had a plumber out to look but he said they don't need replacing. My concern is, if its rotating when machine is on, one day it will just fall off.

The fitting won't fall off don't worry about that

The problem you have because the washing machine inlet valve is floating and not against a wall it's going to be difficult to secure to stop it rotating

I would personally replace the pushfit street elbow with either an end feed/Yorkshire or compression street elbow or use a standard elbow , any of these options would stop your washing machine inlet rotating, save you struggling to secure your pipes somehow and stop you worrying!

It won't fall off it's got sharp stainless steel teeth digging into the pipe. The ring with the teeth and the oring are designed to cope with movement although pipes flapping around is never a good idea.
Although if someone left it like that there's a chance they didn't bother with inserts which are important to handle strain on the pipe.

Put the hammer away!:eek::LOL:Should fit in copper tube more easily than in plastic, after all the plastic wall thickness is significantly more than the copper wall thickness. Problem would be stopping it from rattling around

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back