pushfit valves

Sponsored Links
The increase in the their population greatly increases the likelihood of rats eating plastic plumbing pipes.

That makes the disadvantages of plastic pipe even more severe.

Yesterday I had to fix a boiler which had some wires inside gnawed by some small animal. It must have been a professional though as it did not leave the usual clues behind.

The Council Contractor had made five visits and said the three year old boiler had to be replaced.

It took me just one hour and most of that time was just a show for the owner.

Tony

Spent a year using push fit systems. Mostly ok, but enough leaks to convert me back to solder and compression. However, I do use the plastic pipe in lofts when I have to run a pump feed from one part of the house to another, but thats it. Had most probs with Speed Fit, Hep stuff was better.

Also, there is another plumber who I regularly quote against. I know part of his 'speil' is to extol the virtues of copper and shun pushfit systems - it sounds impressive and so I do the same.

Agile said:
The increase in the their population greatly increases the likelihood of rats eating plastic plumbing pipes.
I don't see why. And even if it were true, which it isn't, the solution to that problem is to not install it where it's likely to be eaten.

Spent a year using push fit systems. Mostly ok, but enough leaks to convert me back to solder and compression.
Typical blinkered and unthinking viewpoint.

Solder, compression and push-fit each have their uses. If you don't understand when to use which one then you can't be doing the best job in the circumstances all of the time.

Also, there is another plumber who I regularly quote against. I know part of his 'speil' is to extol the virtues of copper and shun pushfit systems - it sounds impressive and so I do the same.
It doesn't sound impressive, it sounds pitifully pathetic.

The preference for "copper" over "push-fit" is a non-sequitur and therefore an illustration of muddled thinking - copper is a type of tubing (except, of course, for copper push-fit fittings) and push-fit is a type of fitting.

Sponsored Links
Softus. I can only speak from my experiences. Do you know of an example where push fit fittings would be the best fitting for the job? Wether you feel my views are blinkered and unthinking or not, the fact remains that I had many bad experiences with push fit system and by choosing to avoid push fit systems, I have far fewer problems.

Also, 'pitifully pathetic'? :rolleyes: Again, from my experiences, customers ( especially the older generation who I mostly work for ) sound far less impressed with push fit systems then they do with copper solder and compression. I could attempt to balance thier views with some good examples of pushfit, but what's the point? They are already sold on a good system and so am I.

Now dont get me wrong, I am open to change and would have no problem re exploring pushfit systems should someone present a good reason to. Do you know of any links?

I'm in the middle of plumbing a barn conversion, they get most their water on the property from their own spring. The water is fine for drinking after being filtered but over the years the water has proved to be corrosive to copper and pinholes it from the inside, I have seen this on some of their pipework in the house and replaced it with plastic.
Because of this problem they have requested all their new pipework be done in plastic as much as possible and copper at the visible ends.
Saying that, I dont know what effect this corrosive water could have on the plastic :eek: but hopefully it is a reaction that only happens with the copper.
I can honestly say that with any of the systems I have mixed hep plastic in with my copper I have never had a failure and the only leaks have been if the pipe wasnt pushed in fully or if the 'o' ring gets caught by the copper on the way into the joint-which may have happened with the OP's joint. So I continue to use it where it makes life a hell of alot easier or to get me out of a spot. I always inspect the plastic joints before using them to make sure the bits are all there and in the right place. I think if it's done right then there isn't a problem. There's enough high pressured water and gas mains about done in plastic so can't be that bad. ;)

grrinc said:
Softus. I can only speak from my experiences. Do you know of an example where push fit fittings would be the best fitting for the job?
Hundreds of situations: anywhere where push-fit meets the following criteria:

1. Effectiveness
2. Longevity
3. Parts cost
4. Labour cost
5. Installation time
6. Asthetics

...from my experiences, customers ( especially the older generation who I mostly work for ) sound far less impressed with push fit systems then they do with copper solder and compression.
Indeed so - many people are blindly prejudiced, especially those in their latter years.

I could attempt to balance thier views with some good examples of pushfit, but what's the point? They are already sold on a good system and so am I.
In that case my market must be very different to yours, because my customers judge my results on the above criteria, not whether two bits of pipe are connected with an alloy of refined copper and zinc instead of a lump of petro-chemical by-product.

People who have persistent (non rat-based) problems with push-fit aren't installing it correctly.

As with chr15, I'm lucky enough never to have had a failure with either plastic or push-fit, but then I'm careful, which means inspecting fittings before use and never letting pipe get scratched or abraded before installation.

And the more careful I am, the luckier I get. ;)

Edit: changed "incorrectly" to "correctly"; how ironic is that. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back