Pushfit plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do people think of pushfit plastic plumbing ? I need to replumb my entire house and was thinking of using it, has anybody done this ?

Sponsored Links
Chris,

Though I haven't used pushfit plumbing for a big project like the whole house, I have used it for repairing burst and nail damaged pipes. In all cases, the plastic parts were cheap, easy to fit and up to now, worked problem free.
A friend of my dad's is a plumber who says that he no longer welds pipes when fitting systems, instead opting for pushfit. :LOL:

I did my whole house - including central heating in Hep20 about 10 years ago and it was pretty easy. There are certain things to remember such as using bthe proper cutter for the pipe and the first metre or so of pipe from a boiler must be copper and not plastic - if you contact the manufacturer they should send you a booklet on designing a system using their products. I have buried most of my pipwork in the walls - as they are continuous runs of pipe there are no fittings to leak - but exposed runs of pipe can look a bit naff as the pipe expands slightly when hot. If it must be on the surface then I would use copper for these sections.
If you want British Gas to insure your system you must use the Hep20 "Barrier" pipe which helps to reduce oxygen getting into the system, although I haven't found this a problem with my system.
A mate in the trade now uses Speedfit instead of Hep20 but they are very similar so shop around for price.
Good Luck!

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know how to undo them ? (copper push fit )

Interesting,specially if you don't want to use a blowlamp near wood (fire risk)and probably be costly to do the whole system but then you get what you pay for and could work out cheaper if you want to undo them again later.

Hep20 do a "demountable" fitting that can be unscrewed to allow alterations - I read somewhere that the demountable copper was a bit poor, but I not had first hand experience of this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back