Pushfit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Am new to the group. I was wondering about thoughts on Pushfit connections on
Plumbing for the hot and cold water. I have a very reputable plumber so I have no issues but just wondered about the reliability of Pushfit connections. May be my ocd playing up. It seems they are now widely used but I recall the days of the old soldering and compression joints.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Most will argue copper is proper. No issues really, as long as it’s installed correctly, same with copper jointing & installation methods. Used in New builds, with not much I’ve heard about them failing.

As a business the amount of properties we have done with push fit is way over 4 figures. Push fit is really not a problem correctly installed leaks are vanishingly rare we always water pressure test pipework.

Hi. I found out that it is hep20 system that is used that seems to have good reviews ?

Sponsored Links
As a business the amount of properties we have done with push fit is way over 4 figures. Push fit is really not a problem correctly installed leaks are vanishingly rare we always water pressure test pipework.
I found out that it is the hep20 system of fittings that seems to have good reviews. ?

John Guest Speedfit is very widely used, is a bit more expensive but has the advantages of a lock to prevent accidental detaching, and the Superseal inserts for their plastic pipe mean that leaks have to find their way past two o-rings instead of just one. Quite chunky though.

One disadvantage of any pushfit is that the inserts (theoretically) restrict the flow because they make the pipe at that point quite a lot narrower than copper, which doesn't need inserts.

Best to stick to all one brand - pipe, inserts and fittings.

The rubber used for the o-rings is synthetic. It doesn't perish like natural rubber used to.

You don't suffer as badly with limescale build-up. Copper does corrode, it turns into green crusty rubbish.

The pros are switching away from solder to press-fit. These look like they're all metal, in reality that have a rubber o-ring exactly like pushfit.

If pushfit wasn't safe then there would be a lot of floods, it's been widely used for decades now.

John Guest Speedfit is very widely used, is a bit more expensive but has the advantages of a lock to prevent accidental detaching, and the Superseal inserts for their plastic pipe mean that leaks have to find their way past two o-rings instead of just one. Quite chunky though.

One disadvantage of any pushfit is that the inserts (theoretically) restrict the flow because they make the pipe at that point quite a lot narrower than copper, which doesn't need inserts.

Best to stick to all one brand - pipe, inserts and fittings.

The rubber used for the o-rings is synthetic. It doesn't perish like natural rubber used to.

You don't suffer as badly with limescale build-up. Copper does corrode, it turns into green crusty rubbish.

The pros are switching away from solder to press-fit. These look like they're all metal, in reality that have a rubber o-ring exactly like pushfit.

If pushfit wasn't safe then there would be a lot of floods, it's been widely used for decades now.

I am not a plumber, but a commercial plumber that I know told me that the press fit connectors are only guaranteed for 15 yrs. I don't know if that is true or not. I don't have a dog in this fight...

Lots of plumbers like to use coper pipe. They operate 19th century practices and convey modern developments as the work of the devil.
The only consideration you need to make is the volume you need through the pipe. Plastic pipe has a thicker wall and so is less in diam (internal) so will reduce the flow when compared against copper. This site allows you to play with the size and see the comparison for any given pressure.
The other issue with using 19th century techniques of joining copper pipe is the potential for fire in confined spaces. For this reason, housing associations require compression fittings on copper pipes (either type but some no insist on the pressure jaw fitting)
Plastic pipe fitting will withstand a far greater pressure before failure when compared to solder joints and compression joints
You know if plastic fittings have been fitted correctly with immediate notification
They are easier to dismantle

Lots of plumbers like to use coper pipe. They operate 19th century practices and convey modern developments as the work of the devil.
The only consideration you need to make is the volume you need through the pipe. Plastic pipe has a thicker wall and so is less in diam (internal) so will reduce the flow when compared against copper. This site allows you to play with the size and see the comparison for any given pressure.
The other issue with using 19th century techniques of joining copper pipe is the potential for fire in confined spaces. For this reason, housing associations require compression fittings on copper pipes (either type but some no insist on the pressure jaw fitting)
Plastic pipe fitting will withstand a far greater pressure before failure when compared to solder joints and compression joints
You know if plastic fittings have been fitted correctly with immediate notification

I am not disagreeing in principle, but I have had friends that have previously had rats (mice?) chew through the plastic pipes.

So housing associations are opting for the plastic pipe/ push fit too ?

Everything has A lifespan. Any warranty will be shorter than its likely lifespan, it doesn't mean it will self-destruct after this time.

Besides, what warranty do you get on a solder fitting? I'm guessing none.

I've removed 30 year old copper pipes, there's a lot of rubbish in them - green crusty limescale/copper mix. This rubbish can fall off in chunks and block things downstream. It doesn't happen as much with plastic, and doesn't dissolve the pipe itself.

If movement does occur then a soldered joint may crack, whereas pushfit may slide or rotate and remain sealed.

I am not a plumber, but a commercial plumber that I know told me that the press fit connectors are only guaranteed for 15 yrs. I don't know if that is true or not. I don't have a dog in this fight...
All of the m press fittings we use 25 year warranty goes up to 30 years if you use yorkshire x press and yorkshire tube.

Am confused. Press fit is different from the Pushfit ? The Pushfit connectors being used are hep20

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back