Pushfit

Sponsored Links
Just more internet theories.

I plumbed my last house's heating system myself in Speedfit. Seemed absolutely fine to me, and is fully approved.

I just used a short length of chromed copper tube for the length that poked out of the floor to the radiator. Which is also useful because it needs to go into a compression fitting, which IMO isn't a good idea with plastic pipe.

The only issue I had is that it's prone to sagging, especially when it gets hot. So it needs lots of clips, which makes it a right pain to insulate properly.

I've never had an issue using Speedfit for drinking water. But I did get some German brand that I'd never heard of for the water filter, allegedly drinking water approved. It had a horrible taste especially when it hadn't been used for a while. Thankfully it went away when I swapped it for some John Guest tubing.

So only use decent quality branded tubing and fittings that are approved for drinking water. Don't save 50p buying cheap rubbish.

I'd much rather drink out of plastic pipe than the manky scale-encrusted copper pipes I've been removing.

Sponsored Links
The fact that you have never heard of them doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Late 2022, a regular customer was on holiday but phoned to say that water was gushing out of the ceiling. I turned up to find the housekeeper trying to keep warm in front of the gas fire (the electrics had tripped). On that occasion a hep20 popped out of a T junction.

10 days later,they called me again, yet another torrent of water. This time I had to start smashing holes in the ceiling. Again another Hep20 that had popped out (mains pressure water).

The pipework was 7 years old. Others here suggested that they hadn't been pushed in fully.

A few weeks later, I was contacted by a man working for the insurance company that described himself as a forensics plumber. He asked me to forward any photos I had of the pipes. He went on to ask me if I saw any scratch marks from the toothed grab rings. I got the impression that he was hoping to blame the previous plumbers.
so was he a FENg of yours LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back