Can you reuse the end of a pipe after removing pushfit joint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Googling this all I find are questions about reusuing pushfit joints themselves. In this case I'm going to throw the old pushfit elbow joint away, and replace it with a pushfit tee. Do I need to do anything to the pipe after the pushfit has been removed? As I understand it, with compression joints, the olive and the act of removing may have left the copper pipe in a bad condition - not sure if the same applies with pushfit joints.

See photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmGtZYDBXzj8iLxfDqCh7OT0abDJ2A?e=QSSf3D

Sponsored Links
The geometry of different makes of pushfit may may a straight swap difficult. If you can get an exact replacement then you shouldn't have a problem.

If you can't source an exact replacement, you could consider cutting your tee into the copper pipe and leaving sleeping elbows undisturbed

Regards

Tet

That’s a Hep2o fitting, replace with a Hep2o tee (you will need a plastic demounting tool) some fittings are “grip ring” first and “O” ring second and some are the other way around.
Make sure the pipe isn‘t scored where the “O” ring sits or it could weep, make sure y push it on full socket.

Sponsored Links
A quick rub round with a bit of 120grit will ensure any other push fit should be fine.

The teeth on the grab ring of the push fit, be it JG or Hep will bite in, but they shouldn't create a huge groove so the pipe can't be used.

Compression fittings will only 'neck' the pipe if it has been overcompressed and the olive compresses the pipe, that needs cut off if encountered as there's nothing you can do to make the gap up, unless it's being soldered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back