Put combi boiler in outside loo or bathroom airing cupboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For various reasons I have only two choices for a new combi boiler. It could go in a bathroom airing replacing the hot tank that is currently sited there, and be flued up through the roof (but one installer has suggested that bathrooms aren't always the best place to put boilers) or it could go in an outside toilet that is attached to the house by one wall only and be flued sideways through the wall with easy removal of condensate too. Another installer has suggested that it might be continually firing up in winter because of automatic frost protection even though the water in the pan of the outside toilet has never frozen to the best of my knowledge. Also any heat produced by the boiler would be wasted heat in an outside toilet. Where would you fit it if you only had these two choices. This is going to be an expensive job, both estimates exceed £3000 so I want to get it right.
Can anyone help me make the right choice? Thanks. paulwatford

Sponsored Links
Airing cupboard would be far better. , sounds like doesnt like doing roof flues

A vertical flue will be a lot more than a horizontal one and particularly if the full H&S requirements are met which at BG mean scaffolding normally!

I would strongly suggest the downstairs option.

It sounds very expensive if that one is over £3000. Its difficult for me to imagine a boiler installation much over £2000 without a storage combi.

Tony

From someone who is scared of roof flues and by on admission gets someon in, you sure you have not already quoted

Sponsored Links
I have not quoted for this installation yet.

The last vertical flue on a pitched roof that I fitted was from a ladder and a roof ladder. I am generally quite agile on a roof and indeed built the pitched roof totally by myself when I added a side extension on a house I used to own.

I have never got anyone for any flue maintenance or installation.

Tony

Must be another tony glazier that posted on another forum that he used a roofer its probably the same one who used to wire his boilers with twin and earth cable as he didn`t know about .75mm heat resistant flex.

Simple rule of a combi it should be fitted as close as possible to its point of use eg the taps to stop wastage and make the system more efficent

Thanks for all advice but I'm still not sure who to run with! Access to outside of roof is easy because it has a flat roof extension alongside allowing you to stand on flat roof and put flue up though pitched roof at waist height. Vertical flue would have to be about 5 - 6 feet tall to get through roof. Is there a reason why installation of a boiler in a bathroom is a bad idea?
Installation in the outside toilet would make removal of condenste easier and flue installation easier but would need an electrical spur, whereas an electrical supply already goes to the immersion heater in the airing cupboard.
The airing cupboard solution would put the boiler next to upstairs hot taps, the outside toilet backs onto the downstairs hot taps in the kitcjhen so not much difference there.
The outside toilet quote is £1315 for a Worcester Bosch 37CDiinc flue, wireless programmer and thermostat, £400 for materials inc 9 thermostatic valves, pipework, liquids, magnaclean and a new low level cistern for the outside toilet to allow a boiler to be put above it, £1200 labour inc fittting, powerflush, disposal of old tanks, fitting new low level; cistern. Total £3150 inc VAT.
The Airing cupboard quote is £2900. Personally I wouldn't want to do either for less. It all looks mighty complicated to me. Someone has now told me that if I have a new cistern I'll probably need a new toilet pan too because they are different for low level cisterns - surely that's not true is it?
Sorry to be a nuisance. Paulwatford

I'd go in the airing cupboard. Bathroom installations only really a problem if the boiler weren't "boxed in", which it will be anyway, plus any complications regarding space for maintenance which if the installer is happy to got with it shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding cisterns - there are quite often problems with using mix 'n' match close couple systems. Shouldn't be, I know, but there are.

another vote for airing cupboard.

flues through walls ..eugh..ugly :evil: an unforutnate necessary evil which should be avoided where possible.

btw, fyi most frost protection on boilers kicks in at around 5c.

The Boiler would technically be in an Airing cupboard not realy part of the bathroom,
Vertical Flue will address any "Pluming" issues as well ;)

Anything is better than outside, no problem with boiler in airing cupboard.

Haven't read the whole thread but I would put in airing cupboard or loftspace.

Thanks for all advice but I'm still not sure who to run with!

do not take someones post count into consideration,only the advice given.

imho you would have to get clearance from manufacturer that your outside toilet is not classed as external, as boilers already quoted are internal only.

airing cupboard is your best option (especially because of the flat roof to start you off)

If easy access is available to the roof then that narrows the cost differential considerably and taking into account the new cistern there may be little difference in installation costs.

The deciding factor will then become the gas supply. That boiler needs a low resistance pipe from the meter to the boiler probably in 28 mm. We cost that at about £30 per meter installed compared with £20 for 22 mm.

Without having seen it, my rule of thumb over the phone price quote works out at £3010 to include Drayton TRV4s and new lockshield valves fitted as well because if you dont they usually leak on a pressurised system.

Now the important question, did anyone measure the incoming mains water dynamic flow?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back