putting a GFI on a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
O.K, we need some help. We are trying to put a switch on a GFI outlet so I can kill the power to the outlet (which will not have easy access) when I want to. Is this do-able? Also, if you ran hot to the GFI and neutral to the switch, then back to GFI, is the switch protected by the GFI? Any help here would be appreciated . Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your GFI plug protects whatever is plugged into the plug . NOT theSUPPLY. Most GFIplugs I've seen here in North America are powered from the light switch in your bathroom. You turn the light off and the plug is dead anyway. What you are describing sounds like you are trying to get around your local wiring codes. The codes are there for a reason. Don't electrocute anyone. Get help from someone who is qualified. (You do know that pot grows are illegal)

smithman

r u a canadian spark who intensely dislikes anyone attempting diy electrical work?

from a uk spark

I'm not a licensed electrician. I'm a DIY electrician with about three years of formal training. I've seen licensed people get zapped and even two electrocute themselves. I feel that if someone knows what they are doing, go for it. Don't spend the money for something that you can do. What I don't want to do is try to explain something to someone who has no idea what they are doing and have them injure or kill themselves. As you well know electricity can be a very dangerous stuff.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough.

Your writing style just seems a bit harsh, that's all.

Why beat around the bush..We all have more to do than play games.

The one thing you told him NEVER to do is switch the neutral, unless he switched the live conductor at the same time in the same device.

I would agree that perhaps he should call in someone who knows what they are doing, although my experience in the US means that these are not very common :D

Not sure about the USA at this time but in Canada I believe that now, ALL new installations of outside and bathroom plugs MUST be GFI. It sure beats getting a shock off an electrical appliance that has something wrong inside.

smithman said:
Not sure about the USA at this time but in Canada I believe that now, ALL new installations of outside and bathroom plugs MUST be GFI. It sure beats getting a shock off an electrical appliance that has something wrong inside.

The simple answer is apply UK regs and DO NOT allow sockets to be fitted in rooms containing a fixed bath or shower.

It is so much safer that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back