Help with wiring a GFI and two lights with switches.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need help connecting a GFI, two lights and a double light switch all together in one box. I have it wired so the top switch lights the light and the GFI is getting power but I did not get the lower switch to work correctly because the lower switch does not turn on the other light. Where have I gone wrong? Or could someone explain my wiring situation.

Sponsored Links
without more detail it is hard to explain, but the incoming supply should go to your gfi FIRST

the live (hot as you call it) should then go to the first swith and then loop to the second switch.

from the other side of each switch you should connect the hot side of each light. the other wire from each light should go to the other out going terminal on your gfi (sorry i do not know what you call that, we call it neutral)

I have power coming in (line) to the GFI, going out (load) of the GFI and that is where I get confused. I have two seperate light wires coming in to the box as well. I have to connect the light wires to the double switch and jump power from the GFI somehow.

i assume the "other two wires are from you lights? the see my previous post.

the incoming supply goes to the line and the load side you should connect as i mentioned

Sponsored Links
Yes, the other two wires are for the lights. You said that the live (hot) should go to the first switch. I am using a switch that has two switches, one switch above and one below the other. The type that has switches that go on and off from side to side, not up and down.

When you say loop from the first to the second, do you mean pigtail a piece of wire to the second?

I tried your recommendation and it didn't work. I tried looking fthrough the forum to see a similar situation to no avail. Maybe I didn't explain the situation clearly.

I'll try it again.

I have a GFI and a combination single-pole switch in one box. The switch is to operate two seperate lights (each on their own switch).
I have power coming in, power going out so I guess this is considered a middle-of-the-run situation.
I have two seperate lights coming into the box as well.

I need to wire them all together so each light is on a seperate switch.

i understand what you mean, i have drawn a schematic for you, but i have used British colours since white doesnt stand out on white (white being your neutral)

lamps.bmp

a gfi is what the Americans call an rcd

gfi being ground fault interuptor, rcd being residual current device

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back