Putting a toaster or kettle under a kitchen cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting my kitchen done - a small kitchen. That said, I like to keep my toaster and kettle on the worktop.

If i put up some wall mounted cabinets, can I still run the toaster and kettle on the worktop underneath? Or does this become a big fire hazard/steam ruining wood situation?

cheers

Sponsored Links
I think most peoples kitchens are configured this way? Sounds normal to me :)

That's a No, steam destroys joints in timber units and heat from toaster will destroy vinyl wrapped doors and char others.You need to pull both to the front of the counter when in use to avoid this or use areas not below cupboards.

The steam from the kettle will in all likelihood de-laminate the laminate off or make it lift/bubble a little as moisture gets into the chipboard though it may well take a few years. The toaster I would not be so worried about.

I speak about both of these from experience.

Sponsored Links
As above avoid the steam but as long as its not silly close a toaster should be OK.

Yup steam will destroy cupboards in no time, toaster well it depends, mine seems ok if I happen to forget to pull it out, but I do try to pull it clear of the upper cupboards before use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back