putting a window in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are buying a bungalow soon. the living room has walls 3 sides with a conservatory at the long end of the room via sliding doors

its pretty dark because of that and we thought we may be able to put two clerestory windows in the west wall which has a road on that side and bungalows across the road facing south

the construction is block with render outside and i believe the property is around 25 years old

what i need to know is where to start...ie is planning necessary.

Sponsored Links
Probably not but you may want to check with the local authority that your property retains all of its permitted development rights. Often new-builds have certain restrictions placed upon them but it wasn't such a common practice 25 years ago as it is nowadays. That said, as you are in the process of buying then this information should be made available to your solicitor during the LA searches.

Probably not but you may want to check with the local authority that your property retains all of its permitted development rights. Often new-builds have certain restrictions placed upon them but it wasn't such a common practice 25 years ago as it is nowadays. That said, as you are in the process of buying then this information should be made available to your solicitor during the LA searches.

ok i will
should i get quotes or just frame out the intentions on the questions form
i have building connections and can get a quote with specifications reasonably easily
i will contact CCC planning and building control to get some idea of the proceedure as well
the upper edge of the proposed window opening will be at least 6 courses down from the roof plate so i guess there will be a necessity for a lintel or reinforced frame for the proposed window frame with a post half way along
my estimate now is around 1200x400 and using 2 windows one on either side of the fireplace

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back