putting ceramic tiles directly on old tar on concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are lots of threads about removing the old tar-like adhesive from concrete prior to tiling. But can I tile directly on top of it without removing it first? A mate suggested I need to apply a silicone based self leveling compound first, but I reckon when I have all the tiles out the floor will be very level anyway.

What I have is a very thin layer of tar-like adhesive/dpm between the concrete and the tiles (very brittle vinyl/lino like), which come off almost on their own, leaving the old tar stuck on concrete.

Not sure if this helps at all - the pattern left on the tar suggests it was applied or washed onto the concrete floor with a mop or a similar tool, which I guess explains why it is so thin.

I think I will discover cracks in the floor when I take all the tiles off (the external walls have had major cracks repaired in the past). Once I fill those with cement, will the same sealant act as the dpm over the filled cracks?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back