Laying vinyl tiles on concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have taken up some really old tiles in the hallway which have prob been there since the 60's.
I want to lay some stone effect self adhesive tiles (B&Q Colours)

http://www.diy.com/departments/colo...-adhesive-vinyl-tile-102-m-pack/863644_BQ.prd

There is black yukky glue still stuck to the concrete floor.

My questions are

Should I get as much of this glue up as I can or should I leave it there? (I did start this using a heat gun but it's slow and messy almost like tar.)

The floor is quite level and I have been told I should seal it with a PVA and water mix then lay the tiles on top.
Is this a good idea?

There will be a waterproof runner on top of the tiles as I have a dog and don't want to be mopping up wet footprints all the time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
realistically if it were me, I would try to get as much of the old adhesive up as possible, then seal the floor maybe with SBR or an equivalent, I would not use PVA ( tilers wont use PVA, maybe floor layers who fit vinyl would, so for me it would be a no no with PVA and water ) how big is the area ? its also possible that you could lay a self levelling screed over the top, then fit your vinyl tiles.

Remember that PVA is water based, so if you are wanting to use it , I would use it neat, that's if I had no other option but to use PVA,

Floor layers wouldn't be using BnQ self adhesive vinyl stickers; they'd be using Karndean. They'd then also be using a dedicated glue which would either be fine to go straight onto concrete or it would have its own primer/sealer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back