Putting doors on this

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is supposed to be a large cupboard for storage but I've not been able to work out the best way to add doors, any ideas on how best to do it?

4C458958-C599-4371-8738-82CD54234F72.jpeg

Sponsored Links
DIYer
this is what i do, and have done many times with wardrobes etc

what width is it, do you want a door the full height
you maybe able to get a standard internal door same as the one on left
and then infill the top, which can be wallpaper or painted to match room
Still have the height to the top, just add a shelf about 1/2 / 2/3rd in

can you still get the picture frame moulding to match and bring that round

a bit of an internal frame and architrave and normal hinges

Maybe a closer pictures of the existing frame

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Total height is 2.4m and the opening is 1.2m wide.

I’d ideally like the doors to be full height but I’m starting to realise that would be quite expensive to do.

TBH I'd just infill with a timber stud frame having an opening to take a standard 6ft 6in x 2ft 6in or 2ft 9in door, board the frame with PB, install a wooden door casing and swing the door and fit architraves. You need a frame of some description to carry a door in any case and you also need to position the door so that it misses the moiuldings on the RH wall, so you aren;t realistically going to get an 8 x 4ft door in there

...or you could just go with a curtain

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
It would look weird with a massive door beside the other original.
Better to try to match the picture rail and wall finishes to either use a reclaimed door or use a solid ply door/doors made from sheet and painted the same as the walls? Use magnetic catches that are spring loaded for a seamless effect?

• Thanks
Cheap option would be 2x 600 mm MDF doors full height is just one sheet of MDF

• Thanks
Bless you!

Seriously though, can you get bifold doors at 8ft high? Surely you'll need a frame?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
I'm just wondering if it would make sense to divide it with two normal doors on the bottom and two smaller doors on the top, like a big wardrobe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back