Putting in new fire and wallpapering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Am about to decorate with view to replacing furniture and carpets etc. I will also be getting new gas fireplace suite to replace ancient gas fire. Would you normally get the fire installed before decorating? (we already have flue).

Also why the hell is it a) so difficult to get gas fireplace suites and b) why are they so expensive?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Its not well manned at the moment on this forum, but i'm sure your second comment has been noted so good luck with any future posts.

Sponsored Links
Can I helpfully point out that it may be the sarcasm rather than the caps? When you want help, responses tend to be more successful when you ask nicely, I learned that aged 5.

It's understandable why you get frustrated after nobody replied to you for two days but it won't go down well with the regulars here, as you can see. It works both ways on the site as members will regularly reply with advice to posts, often getting no acknowledgement from the OP's as to whether they have taken the advice on board or if it was useful. The difference being, contributors who are replying to a query generally don't complain about any lack of acknowledgement/thanks and continue to post helpful advice, as and when they can. As a longstanding member, I'm sure you are already aware of that. ;)

As for the query you made, it all depends on what type of suite/fireplace/surround you are installing. Different fireplaces have installation processes and some will allow you to fit part of the system, then wallpaper/paint before fixing the surround. Others will have fixings that need to be buried beneath wall surface so will need to be completely fitted before decoration.
It also depends on how flat the wall surface is and the skill of the installer and then the decorator, or vice-versa. You could decorate the wall and then find that, when the surround is fitted there will be gaps all around it that need filling. This isn't a difficult task but, if you have already decorated, you could well end up with marked paint/paper or, if fitting first, a damaged surround that will be visible for all to see because the fireplace is generally the main focal point of the room.

It's understandable why you get frustrated after nobody replied to you for two days but it won't go down well with the regulars here, as you can see. It works both ways on the site as members will regularly reply with advice to posts, often getting no acknowledgement from the OP's as to whether they have taken the advice on board or if it was useful. The difference being, contributors who are replying to a query generally don't complain about any lack of acknowledgement/thanks and continue to post helpful advice, as and when they can. As a longstanding member, I'm sure you are already aware of that. ;)

As for the query you made, it all depends on what type of suite/fireplace/surround you are installing. Different fireplaces have installation processes and some will allow you to fit part of the system, then wallpaper/paint before fixing the surround. Others will have fixings that need to be buried beneath wall surface so will need to be completely fitted before decoration.
It also depends on how flat the wall surface is and the skill of the installer and then the decorator, or vice-versa. You could decorate the wall and then find that, when the surround is fitted there will be gaps all around it that need filling. This isn't a difficult task but, if you have already decorated, you could well end up with marked paint/paper or, if fitting first, a damaged surround that will be visible for all to see because the fireplace is generally the main focal point of the room.

Many thanks. I do understand the protocols on this mb and am grateful for the time and expertise given etc. I just realised that the wording of my original post conveys frustrations which wern't meant to be critical about the P&D fraternity but more about retailers. That said, I can see that B&Q do a very nice range of gas "fireplace suites".

Your advice is very clear and constructive so many thanks again.

(I should also add that I have never failed to acknowledge advice provided on any of the forums here).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back