Putting larger fuse in CU

Hello DanAir,

The method that you mention for testing continuity will not tell you if the circuit has inter-connections. When testing the 'complete' ring for continuity you can gain information by comparing the resistances of the separate conductors with each other.

Ed

Sponsored Links
testing is beyond the scope of diy mate sorry.you need very expensive test equipment and the knowledge to interpret the results.
I think that's a bit dismissive. True the equipment is not cheap, but other than that of course it's within the scope of a DIYer - the knowledge you need is what is an ohm, and what are the maxima and minima for continuity and IR....

And a few minutes study to understand why the cross-connections of ring final conductors are done.

Let me preface this question by saying that I will be getting a PIR done but I'd like to do as much simple DIY work beforehand rather than afterwards.

So let me ask a question on continuity: Let's say there's only one socket on the ring, with Cable 1 and Cable 2 feeding in. If I remove Cable 2 and check the socket works, and then remove Cable 1 and replace Cable 2 and check the socket works, isn't this a pretty reasobable test for continuity (I assume the only risk is that when reattaching the cables is that a good connection is not achieved?)

Getting down to brass tacks and because you sound switched on then yes, IMHO it is a good enough test assuming that all the connections are tight and so on and so forth. It's a pretty low probability that anyone has made some sort of strange wiring interconnect but you need only have a serious looksee and if you pull the fuse in the CU you can pretty much eliminate that anyway.

You're likely to have difficulty getting a rewireable for the old CU unless you know an electrician who will doubtless have lots lying in his lockup. It's not a great idea to rewire with heavier fusewire but the actual fuseholder won't be bothered.

I just fitted six MCBs to my old (90s) wylex board, so have a couple of 30 amp rewirables with flashguards kicking about now, if the op wants one - plus there's loads on ebay - just make sure you get the matching holder. It's not really a good idea to use a smaller fuse carrier and put larger wire in it, the pins that push into the rail on the board are smaller on the smaller carriers.

Sponsored Links
It's not really a good idea to use a smaller fuse carrier and put larger wire in it, the pins that push into the rail on the board are smaller on the smaller carriers.

Agreed it's not, but IMHO the size difference is more to do with interchangeability than capacity.

I have a sackful of them you can have one for cost of postage - what rating?

I have a sackful of them you can have one for cost of postage - what rating?

Thanks John but I've ordered one already at less than 3 quid from TLC (delivery was free as part of order over £15). It probably would have cost you that much to post it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back