Putting up outdoor Christmas decorations - How do you do it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A slightly ridiculous thread, but I don't think it fits in other sections so this'll have to do.

Outdoor Christmas lights.

This year we're going for the 'visible from space' motif (albeit in what I hope will be a classy and professional manner - not the often seen 'entire Argos Christmas range spaffed on every wall' approach, but instead matching and warm white lights around the entire property).

I'm getting ready to put things up but I'm struggling to decide the best way to physically attach them to the house. They will run across brick, lead flashing, and render (as well as gutters, which is no problem). I had hoped that a hot glue gun (holding a small cable tie holder to affix the lights) would work on all surfaces, and be removable after Christmas, but it doesn't give a great fixing on the brick or lead, and I only really want to do this once.

My latest thought is just to attach the little cable tie mounts with some clear CT1 or equivalent. Should stick to anything, last the season, and hopefully come off with a sharp chisel if required (it'd just be a blob holding on the cable tie mount).

Intensely irrelevant to most, but has anyone been thinking about this recently or has good solutions?

I keep thinking about installing stainless eye hooks in the relevant places, but that obviously doesn't work on the lead flashing, and means manhandling a drill up a ladder.

Sponsored Links
I use gutter clips for stringing lights and for the walls screw and rawl plug into the mortar. Only short screws and then a cable tie or one of those wire ties that come with all sorts of electrical items. I leave the screws in all year round and they are hardly noticeable once the lights are packed away.

Should stick to anything, last the season,

They do not always remain stuck to anything, just today we had to replace some that had come unstuck from new plastic fascia and bargeboard less than a week after fixing them. If you do use them then clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol and wipe dry with a clean dry cloth before fixing,

Hayward _4.jpg

Small screws or cup hooks are the best option in wooden facias and bargeboards, we are still using some cup hook fixings that were fitted over twenty years ago,
Hayward _1.jpg

Images from 2019

We just tether it down, and then turn on the fan.

Means our neighbours don't see daylight in their living room from 1st December to the twelfth night, but it's all in the name of jebus' birthday...

Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 20.07.11.png

Sponsored Links
They do not always remain stuck to anything, just today we had to replace some that had come unstuck from new plastic fascia and bargeboard less than a week after fixing them. If you do use them then clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol and wipe dry with a clean dry cloth before fixing

What was it that let go? A CT1 type product? I won’t be using any self-adhesive pads, they’re just plastic cable tie bases that I’ll stick on with Sticks Like Sh*t or something. But yes I do have isopropanol.

I can’t think of much alternative of how to trail the lights over the lead flashing.

How do you put up external Christmas decorations…..send the wife out with a ladder

Back