Putting up shelf, need advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put up a shelf as shown.

I hope the 4 brackets shown are in the right place. There is no wall above and below the diagram only on the left and right side.

I would like it to support upto 30Kg, perhaps a little more?

I was intending on using 18mm thick MDF,

B&Q medium weight self drill plasterboard 1.5" screws ( http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...72210}/specificationsProductType=nylon_plugs)

and 4 x heavy duty 'L' shaped brackets, not sure whether to use:
80 x 80 x 10mm (8 screw holes in total)
100 x 100 x 20mm (6 screw holes in total)
120 x 120 x 20mm (8 screw holes in total)

Does this all sound feasible?

Sponsored Links
If you want it to support a heavy load then plasterboard fixings aren't up to the job. You really need to fix your support brackets directly into the studwork or masonry behind if it's dot and dabbed.

Replace your brackets with a timber baton, will spread the load better , look neater an enable fixing to stud work.

Foxhole can you explain what u mean please? A timber baton is a plank of wood? So shelf is to sit on 4 columns of wood so to speak. The wood columns are attached to the wall.

Am I right?

Also I don't know where the wall studs are.

Sponsored Links
Not four columns , two batons, one along each edge against the wall. From your description you have a space between two walls you want to shelve?

This is a side view of what I think you mean with the battons underneath supporting the shelf

If so, then I have some questions:

1) What height and length should the battons be?
2) How should the battons be fitted to the wall?
3) How should the battons be fitted to the shelf?
4) What type of wood should I use for the battons?

Thanks.

1. They should run the full depth of the shelf
2. They should be screwed securely to the studwork at as many points as possible - 2 minimum though. Make sure the screws you use are long enough to go through both batten and plasterboard with enough additional length to go deep into the studwork.
3. Up to you :p
4. Something like 50 x 25mm PSE pine available at any DIY shed or woodyard. Those are nominal dimensions before planing. Actual dimensions are something like 45 x 22mm
5. Don't forget to use a spirit level ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back