Rawlplug interset plasterboard blunder. HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting up some shelving into plasterboard using these fixings:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...mpid=4&tmad=c&ecamp=cse_go&CAWELAID=266898510

All was going ok until I was putting in the last rawl plug. When I went to tighten the screw to fix it in place it spun into the plasterboard and bored a hole the size of the top of the fixing (about an inch) half way through the plasterboard.

After much faffing I manged to get it out but now need to try and repair the hole and re-fix the rawl plug again. Creating a new hole in a different place isn't an option because of the style of shelving bracket.

Can I use wetnfix or nomorenails? I'm a bit worried about making an even bigger hole when I try again.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Linzie

Sponsored Links
It's plasterboard.

I used plasterboard brolly anchor rawlplugs.

Sponsored Links
FIRST THINGS FIRST

how big are these shelves and what are they intended for?

Probably books.

Don't think it's a good idea to put something as heavy as books on a shelf fixed to plasterboard as you may find the books, shelves and a load of plasterboard all over the floor. If it's a stud wall then use a stud detector to locate the studs and fix to those.

Don't think it's a good idea to put something as heavy as books on a shelf fixed to plasterboard as you may find the books, shelves and a load of plasterboard all over the floor. If it's a stud wall then use a stud detector to locate the studs and fix to those.
You can do what you like, and any of them methods would be ok to secure it while you tighten. I would fill over the hole with soem gooo and redrill. But I agree that for a heavy load i would secure atlease for the top pair of screws, into more the just the PB if not all of them. But thats really upto you, just dont let me sit under 10kilos of books hung of the PB!

Daniel

All was going ok until I was putting in the last rawl plug. When I went to tighten the screw to fix it in place it spun into the plasterboard and bored a hole the size of the top of the fixing (about an inch) half way through the plasterboard.

Linzie

It's a bit late, but with that type of fixing you are supposed to use one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-setting-tool/92462

to fix them in place, not the screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back