Putty or Beading on victorian era door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have needed to remove all the leaded glass from our front door as the past 120 years have taken its toll and no longer fit for purpose. Followed suit of a number of neighbours and had modern leaded-looking type glass made which is pretty much single pane with adhesive lead pattern and coloured film in areas. I would have loved to commission new full authentic leaded glass but the original glass pieces were in very poor state and the cost was prohibitive.

Have removed all the old paint, treated, undercoated and top coated the door whilst no glass was in there and I now need to install the final glass but not sure if I should use a bead of silicon in before the glass, secure with pins and then putty or should I do away with the pins and putty and use a wood beading and then pin in place? Should I secure the wooden bead with another run of silicon and do away with the final pins.

When I was removing the glass the original full leaded panes were held in with various types of fixings ranging from pins, large headed tacks, screws and what appeared to be bathroom mastic!!!

Sponsored Links
As someone who periodically works on listed buildings these days, many of them Victorian, I think I'd be more in favour of sprigs and putty over timber beads, which tend to be thicker than the original sash mouldings, and are not the correct profile (commonly a lamb's tongue moulding, most of which are too delicate to be made into a "stand-alone" beading)

As someone who periodically works on listed buildings these days, many of them Victorian, I think I'd be more in favour of sprigs and putty over timber beads, which tend to be thicker than the original sash mouldings, and are not the correct profile (commonly a lamb's tongue moulding, most of which are too delicate to be made into a "stand-alone" beading)
Had to look up what a sprig was :) But have got some on order and appreciate you taking the time to reply

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what the piece of asparagus (or other herb?) is meant to do.

Putty may be more in keeping, but not necessarily, there are old frames with timber beads. And it would depend on whether you can get the right finish with putty.

IIRC, you line the back edge and sides of the casement with a thin layer of putty before pressing the pane in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back