Puzzling plumbing problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would welcome any views on a problem we have made for ourselves in building a new kitchen. I will say upfront that our knowledge of plumbing really only extends to being able to join pipes, taps etc together and (clearly) not in understanding how the whole system works.

The kitchen takes a hot water feed from an existing pipe in the attic which used to simply feed a washbasin in a shower room. At the new junction we are already about 12 foot away from the hot water tank and about 2 foot higher. The pipe to the kitchen then travels about 6 foot, takes a 90 degree turn, travels another 8 foot before passing down a cavity wall, a couple of foot along the floor and up to the sink. When we first connected it up it worked OK, but with low pressure which we had expected given the run. (The tank will be moved as part of a longer term project but not for a couple of years).

After a while the tap ran dry and we assumed that air had gotten in somewhere. We thought the reason was the tap in the shower room as there is slight rise in the pipework between the joint in the loft and the kitchen. Undoing the flexible part of the pipe under the sink and getting rid of the air lock by pointing this down helped.

As a longer term solution we thought we would fit a vent in the pipe between the joint and the kitchen sink, figuring that turning the tap on in the shower room was causing an air lock in the pipework between the joint and the kitchen. We carefully measured the length of pipe needed to ensure the top was above the header tank (situated in a second attic) and put in a tee with the vent sticking up. Nothing happened at first and the problem remained the same. Then I noticed that where we had put the vent was fractionally lower that another part of the pipework and raised it to ensure the vent was at the highest point. Water started to cascade out of the top of the vent! Thinking we had miscalculated the length required we added another 8 inches and tried again with the same results :confused:

The top of the vent is definately higher than the header tank and yet water still flows out.

I am simply puzzled as to what we have done wrong and would be grateful for any explaination. Also would this cure the problem if it worked and if not what would?

Here's hoping someone can put me out of my misery.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Yes it is a mixer tap. We have tried adjusting the cold pressure down (and even off) with the valves fitted under the sink but it made no difference.
I should say we also fitted a non-return valve on the hot water pipe, also under the sink.

Sponsored Links
thanks for thinking :)

If I can tell you any more that might help please let me know

SO if you took a bit of guttering between the outflow from the vent pipe in the second attic through the rooves so it dropped into the header tank in the first, you'd have perpetual motion, right?

Or the plumbing is not as you described it!

Could be, but I have described as best I can :rolleyes:

The two roofs are (apparantly) roughly the same height, The header tank sits approx 2 foot off the attic floor and the top is about another 3 foot. The vent pipe eventually went almost to the apex of the second loft.

I measured the height from a common point and it is definately higher

Water wont travel uphill on it's own unless syphonic action takes place or is pumped, so got to be one of three things, mains pressure pushing, levels not as described and it finding it's own level continually, or syphonic action carrying on water flow after being pushed/expanded started somehow :confused:

shove a hosepipe on your gushing vent and poke it through the tiles. I bet the cistern doesn't empty.

Perhaps, the "common point" you took your measurements from is not level? Have you tried taking a long straight edge across and using a spirit level on it?

Symo

I knew when I posted the question that the most obvious answer (and the one that makes me look the dumbest) is the that the top of the vent is below the water level in the header tank. I have measured twice now, but the last time was a couple of weeks ago so I am again starting to doubt myself. I will check again - but I am pretty sure the vent is higher by quite some way.

Going back to a previous comment, and I don't know if it's relevant, but we are not on mains water. Water is drawn from a borehole into a pressure tank from which the house is supplied. The pressure is somewhat greater than mains pressure, but all this means is that the header tank fills quicker (?). The water still stops flowing into the tank when the ball cock closes. The Hot Water tank is fed directly from the header tank and is on the next floor down.

I have always turned the water off as soon as I could after it started to flow from the vent. Is it possible that trapped air is forcing a jet of water up and that if I left the water turned on it would stop after a short while?

have you tried capping this new vent now and see if the problem of the water flow to kitchen sink.
you may have had a partial blockage in the pipes which has now cleared.

That's exactly where we are now. We had already put a valve at the top of the vent so we turned off the water at a stop cock near the hot water tank, blew down the vent to clear any air, turned off the valve at the top of the vent and then turned the water back on. It's working after a fashion (low pressure and only tepid) which may be as much to do with the length of run as anything else.

The thing is that I haven't tried turning on the tap in the shower room as I am convinced this will re-introduce the air lock that I had hoped the vent would prevent. Sooner or later I will use this tap by accident and be back at the beginning again.

i know you seem to have tried everything but have you tried to clear the airlock in the tried an tested method on the sink.
if its a mixer dold your hand undr the spout with the hot tap running and keeping your hand over the spout turn on the cold so it goes back up trhe hot pipes, leave it running for some time ,i know you might get wet but get it right and see the result

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back