PV solar help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’ve been offered 10 x 545w solar panels at a dirt cheap price (£300 for all of them) but they have some cracks in the glass so will be less efficient (I know I can seal these up with clear laminate sheet to protect them). My questions are 1. what sort of inverter would I need if I hook up all 10 together, 2. How many batteries (or how big should they be) and how do I connect the inverter to my fuse board?
I have no solar experience, but desperately want to cut down on my electricity usage from the grid (don’t we all!) and this opportunity for the panels makes it seem very affordable
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you want a system with PV panels, battery storage and connection to the grid, the panels are a small part of the cost.

Battery size depends on how much electricity you use and how much can be generated during the day that's not being used.
As a rough indication, 6kWh of batteries which is just over half of the daily average use for a UK home will cost about £4000
A typical low end 5kW inverter would be £2000
You will also need mounting frames/hardware and cabling for the panels, and cabling for the rest of the components, plus isolators, metering and various other items.
Unless your consumer unit is recent with suitable spare space, you will require a new one of those as well.

Then there is installation to add, which if the panels are located on a roof will require scaffolding.
You must also comply with either G98 or G99 and notify the DNO.
Given the questions you have asked, DIY installation isn't likely. It's also very unlikely anyone would actually want to install cracked/damaged panels.

Now you know why those cracked panels are being given away - no one wants them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back