PVA before browning ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a section of my kitchen I need to plaster up, because of the thickness I need to add to level everything up I'm going to use browning before skimming with multifinish.

The walls were all papered which I have stripped with some areas that were just bare skimmed plaster from when the house was built in the early 70s.

Question is should I PVA before applying browning ? Can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere...
cheers.

Sponsored Links
What are you plastering onto, bare brick/block, plasterboard/painted plasterboard?? Browning and Hardwall plaster is used onto bare brick/block.
Bonding Coat plaster is what you would use on plasterboard to coat it/level up/thickness etc. You would always use PVA if plastering onto a sound painted surface. Plaster onto it while the pva is wet/tacky. Don't plaster onto dry pva. If it dries before you're ready to plaster, just go over it again with more pva. You don't need to pva new/unpainted plasterboard. For plastering onto moisture resistant plasterboard, (the green stuff), you need to seal it first with British Gypsum Thistle Bond before plastering.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Its a mix of skimmed plaster that was wallpapered now with the wallpaper removed and some bits of bare un-skimmed plaster. Where the new steel beam is I have boxed it in with fireboard which will end up being covered in browning then skimmed along with the entire wall.

Much as I would like to do it all in multifinish some bits are just too thick really.

Don't use Browning to fill out the deeper bits, use Bonding Coat. Give the areas a damp down, pva, then put on the bonding coat. Let that set, PVA the whole wall, then skim onto the wet/tacky pva. BROWNING ONTO FIREBOARD? I don't think so. Pva and bonding coat maybe. What do you other guys think on that one.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys, I will let you know how I get on ! This is my first go at a bigger plastering job, I have patched up cable runs etc in the past that have then been painted over and you would never know so hopefully I can do this ok too.

Yehh, good luck to you Cabby, give it a go. Let us know how you get on and any probs, ask us again on here. ;)

Hi, once again thanks for the tips etc. Pics below taken today and couple of days ago. I went with bonding then multi, got the other side to skim but all in all I'm pretty happy with the results. Prob going to hsve to skim the first side over in places but as most of it will be hidden by kitchen cupboards it doesn't really matter, this was meant to be practice !

Not used bonding before, definitiy different to browning and seems tougher. I think the trick is to get the bonding coat as flat as possible so the skim coat is earlier but I'm happy for feedback on this :)

Also if anyone knows if I can block up the air wants you see in the pics I would love to know. The house had cavity wall insulation fitted before I bought it and the outside vents are silicone sealed up yikes ?

I will see what it's like when it's dry.

View media item 72441
View media item 72442
View media item 72440
View media item 72439

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back